View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 08:25 AM
bethanyr
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual observer (View Post)
And I agree--if you don't want public scrutiny, choose a less public profession. It's as simple as that.

I found out about that girl in February and her claims when trying to find out more about Costner after Whitney's death. She posted lots (dozens it seems) of comments on the topix message boards relating to him. Here is her main allegation:

Kevin Costner Denies Rumors He And Wife Are Splitting - Topix

She has lots of other posts on the site--but they all refer to the incident described as far as I can tell.
Public scrutiny is a funny thing. Why should entertainers be more scrutinized than politicians or police officers or teachers? People who's jobs really affect us on a much more important level? I've heard numerous celebrities say that even though you know if you hit it big, they'll be some level of this, but you're never really prepared for it. You did say that you've only been reading up on Kevin in the past 8 weeks and I've mentioned I've been a fan of years. It was after he and Dances with Wolves won the Oscar that the scrutiny became unbearable. They had tabloid photographers hiding in the woods as they filmed Robin Hood. That was when they paid the woman to write about an affair that never happened (she admitted this later). Harrison Ford has also talked about the loss of anonymity.

As for the book, I don't look at books about famous people unless it's a reputable author. That doesn't mean a reputable author glosses over a person's flaws or mistakes but uses solid sources, their own interviews and can construct proper sentences. I read a great autobiography on Gregory Peck written by a family friend so she had access and knowledge. It was written with the consent of the family but did not gloss over alleged affairs, drinking problems, falling out of friendships, the suicide of a son, nasty arguments and subsequent divorce with his first wife, etc. Celebrities are easy targets. You look up Wikipedia or IMBD, read a few interviews or articles and you can construct some realness into a otherwise fictional account. Despite whatever flaws he has, the following article shows the type of person he is. Yeah - it's from a golf blog but it's a great article about a kindhearted man. Oh, and just to show you how tabloid type stories can happen, one article that didn't know this young woman's tragic story, interpreted the kiss on the cheek as flirting with a much younger woman.

Ontario Golf � Blog Archive � The myth and reality of Kevin Costner

Last edited by bethanyr; 04-19-2012 at 08:31 AM