View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
GobSmacked82
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroja (View Post)
Very well said, and I have to agree. It is true that not many people cared about Costner (aside from his diehard fans) before Whitney's death. He was not really relevant anymore until his passionate speech at Whitney's funeral made him a person of interest to many again. What you said is INDEED TRUE - Whitney, in her death has blessed Kevin Costner and returned his favor to her. She got everybody talking about Kevin Costner again, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he is being overwhelmed with movie offers and getting scripts thrown at him from everywhere right now - just like in his heydays back in the mid 80s-early 90s. I think KC will try to keep a low profile for awhile, so as not to be seen as capitalizing on Whitney's death to make a career comeback.

^ Thanks for sharing the articles about his attempts to woo back wife #1 Cindy. I'm not motivated to dig up info on Cindy and KC's other ex-gfs, but it is a good read nonetheless. So is Cindy still a single mom or has she been seen having a new romantic interest since Kevin got married to wife #2 CB?

LoL, perhaps they wrote each other love letters. I'm not so sure that Cindy did all the wooing...

Btw, I read that Kevin was a shy and awkward teen in highschool (he was only 5"6' and grew to be taller later on as an adult) and thus only had one date during his school years. Then he met Cindy in college, found her to be very pretty and intelligent (she was a science major) and Kevin was so amazed that she agreed to go out with him. It's a nice story and not that uncommon for guys to marry their college sweethearts.

Well, if he had been in any other profession other than showbiz, KC would be very close to retirement age, so that qualifies him as old in my book. But I gotta admit KC still has a lot of sex appeal for an older guy, LOL. However, the thing that turns a lot of regular people off Hollywood stars is how once they've hit the big time, they dump their loyal wives who supported them and brought up all their kids, to exchange the older, plainer #1 wife for a younger and hotter 2nd wife. It has happened to many Hollywood A-Listers - like Michael Douglas, Mel Gibson and Harrison Ford (my aunt used to be a HUGE fan of HF but she didn't like him anymore after he divorced the wife and got with that Ally Mcbeal chick) - aside from Kevin Costner. Granted, Kevin didn't ditch Cindy to marry CB, it was Cindy who got tired of his womanizing ways and wanted out. Many former KC fans have stopped liking him because of how he wronged poor Cindy; and the fact that KC is married to a much younger woman now (almost 20 years his junior) doesn't help his image at all. I usually just support or like actors/singers for their talents and can't be bothered about their personal lives too much, but I can see where these fans are coming from. As public figures, people WILL judge you whether you like it or not.

Exactly, as outsiders...we can only wait and see how KC's 2nd marriage will pan out (I don't wish to see him divorce because as I stated previously, KC is a bit too old to be chasing around young skirts). If he were to divorce CB and find new love, it would be better for Kevin to find sometime closer to his age, who is mature, talented and at his level (I think Susan Sarandon would be a good match - lol, but who's asking me?); not another young model-type like CB. Oh, and I have never liked Elle McPherson as she's such an airhead. Give me Tyra Banks or Heidi Klum etc over Elle anyday - these ladies have got the brains to go with their hot bodies, they know how to keep themselves relevant in this fickle and youth obsessed industry.

Anyway, back on topic about Kevin and the twitter phenomenon. I did a twitter search for 'Kevin loved her' and 'Kevin love Whitney' way back in Feb a few days after Whitney's funeral and low and behold - I was amazed by the hundreds upon hundreds of tweets from people around the world. It was so very interesting for me to read and find out what people thought of Kevin's eulogy and his connection with Whitney - some of those tweets were funny, others just in awe at what they'd just seen and heard . I've saved the entire 'search result' page onto my computer as I knew that the older tweets would be gone from twitter over time, and I wanted to keep those tweets to remind me of that surreal day - when Whitney Houston took the world to church and Kevin Costner spoke so movingly at her Homecoming and made everybody tear up - even the self-proclaimed hardened cynics. These tweets are like a snapshot of a particular moment in time, when the world came together to remember and celebrate the miracle of Whitney Houston. And Kevin's words that day will definitely go down in history as one of the most remarkable and poignant eulogies of all time.

Here are some screen captures of those tweets from Feb 19-22 (I live in Asia so Feb 18 in North America is Feb 19 locally) -- (please do NOT quote the [ IMG ] tags to save forum space)
First off, I'd like to say thanks for the 'archival re-tweets'. They are a lovely digital scrapbook/memorial book of that moment, and shows how easily people from widely varying background, and some would say opposing backgrounds, can unite around a single idea. In this case it is a colorblind love that none of us knew existed.

It occurred to me the other day that had Whitney Houston died first, this would have all been very different. Would it have been that type of Baptist, musical emotional home-going tribute the way Blacks do it? If there had been some sort of memorial service, would she have spoken, and would she have expressed the same loving affections as KC? Would she have explained how the screen test went and that he was a handsome as aman could be, or that God couldn't have created a more perfect man? Judging by her cool reserve over the years and his consistent trail of lighting up and smiling and complimenting her all over the place, I don't know.

And if CB were not in the picture right now ... Diane or Oprah would have already dragged it out of him.

Oprah: Welcome to the show, Kevin.
KC: Thanks, Orpah. You look great.
Oprah: Enough stalling, Kevin. We need to know! First, did you love our Whitney? The way a man with a brain loves a woman like Whitney?
KC: Uh, well. (shifts in his chair)
Oprah: Kevin, do you know your smile is so wide and so bright right now that I'm about to get a tan? Can you see yourself?
KC: What are you talking about?
Oprah: And right there, shrugging like that. You don't shrug, and grin, and beam like that when you're talking about Sean Connery. Even if he is a looker.
KC: (laughs) I thought you might do this.
Oprah: Well, aright. Let's get to it! You came her to confess, admit it. I always get a confession, you know.
KC: (laughs big)
Oprah: Just don't jump on my couch, OK? I love Tom, but that got him into a heap of trouble.
KC: OK, I knew you'd try to get me to be honest. I saw you and Diane playing rock, paper, scissors after the service.
Oprah: Well, let's start. Did you love our Whitney?
KC: With all my heart. She was an impossible sweet miracle, Oprah. Just like I said. A coco-brown long drink of water.
Oprah: And what was in the LETTERS, KEVIN?? We are dying to know! (after a pause) but you're a gentleman.
KC: Yeah, and Whitney once told you that some things are better left unsaid. But I will tell you that the eulogy and the letters came from the same place. The same heart, emotion, everything. I like getting letters. And when I send them, I like to make them keepers.