View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM
GobSmacked82
Dedicated Fan

Did You Get My Letters?

After the Ali dinner afterparty. KC and WH decide to take a stroll in the gardens while the crowd mills around.

WH: (Pulls her shawl closer) This is good, taking a walk outside in the cool air. (Looks at KC, who's got a huge grin on his face) What is it?
KC: I know that this won't last. In the morning, you're gonna get me for flying across the dining room to be next to you. But I'd risk it; I'd risk a scolding from Whitney if she only answered one question:
WH: What question?
KC: Did you get my letters from three, four years ago? Someone who loves you very much approached me, with a hypothetical question and said: If you knew someone was in trouble, struggling with an addiction, would you write to that person to help her get the help she needs?
WH: What?! Someone did that for me? And you responded? (stops walking) You wrote me letters four years ago?
KC: I did. Part of me thought it was weird. Like, how did I land in the middle of your life like this? But if that person thought it would help, I agreed. Now I can see by your reaction that you didn't get them. And my visit, too, at your house that morning Cissy told you she meant business. I thought if you read the letters, and saw me at your house, you'd put it all together, and things would be different.
WH: OK, you have to spill it now, and break off this suspense. (laughs) You know I can't handle suspense. Either something is a secret or its not. Spill! (She tugs his arm) What was in them?
KC: (tugs at a leaf on a bush) To begin with, I asked you forgive me for intruding, but someone thought you needed help. Then I said I was surprised to hear about your issues, because I never saw any problems like that. I only saw what others saw. Then I started asking you 'when you look in the mirror, how could you not see what I see?'
WH: Well, what do you see?
KC: An amazing musical instrument that needed to be guarded and protected at all costs. I told you I saw a kind, warm, fun-loving women who couldn't help but make every guy around her fall in love with her. I told you that you were a precious treasure, worth more than anyone of us could ever calculate, and that it would be a shame to destroy all of that with drugs.
WH: Wow, Kevin. I had no idea. (pulls her shawl tighter around her shoulders)
KC: I also repeated, and I can't remember if this was the first or second letter, that I love you. Flat out love you, Whitney.
WH: Oh my God Kevin.
KC: I said you make me laugh, you make me cry, you're exhausting with your stubborn self, and I said I'd rather you tire me out than be with anyone else who you might look at and say: 'Yeah, she keeps him going.' But I also said you could never tire anyone out, because you're like the sun. You radiate life and beauty.
WH: No, I definitely did not get anything that said that. (Whitney stops and shakes her head.)
KC: I don't know if my letters were read, Whitney.
WH: (smirks uncomfortably) No amount of drinking or drugging would erase that memory.
KC: You shouldn't say those things about yourself, OK? I know you didn't want that for yourself, for Bobbi Kristina and your mom.
WH: Well, it's the truth. It's who I am, basically. I'm nothing more than a high-functioning ...
KC: No! You are not! See, this is what saddened me writing that letter. There you were, branding yourself as worthless, writing yourself off. (Puts a hand on her shoulder) I know you give a damn, and you don't want to self-destruct, but that you needed someone to lean on, a rock. Someone you could call your own. I said that too, and I asked you to let me be that person for you.
WH: That's too much.
KC: I asked you to leave Bobby. That he was sucking the life out of you, and anyone could see it. I told you I knew I had no right to ask that of a married woman, but that if you did that, I'd ... wait. I'd wait for you to be single, and I'd wait for you to get well. And if you needed help getting well, I'd be there.
WH: This is crazy!
KC: What would you have said if you read that?
WH: Well, I definitely wouldn't have been so mean to you the day after mama's SWAT team tactic. I would have listened. Someone took those letters, Kevin. If I remember rightly, ----- slipped an envelope in my overnight bag. She, she made a point that I saw it, and told me to look at it later. That overnight bag stayed in my room for hours, and then Bobby, for some reason, said he would bring my bags to the car for me. (Covers her mouth) That much I remember, because at that point, we were starting to really fall apart. Sometimes we would barely speak, and it seemed a little out of place that he would do anything nice or helpful or gentlemanly for me.
(They both stop walking, but KC is a little more agitated.)
KC: That sonofabitch! I'll bet he destroyed them.
WH: What if he read it, and then threatens to talk.
KC: If anyone saw those letters, both you and I would have been shaken down for money already. No, I bet he took one look at a fat note to his wife, from someone other than him, became jealous and irrational and destroyed it.
WH: I can't believe we had our chance.
KC: HAD? (Kevin holds her arm gently and pulls her closer)
WH: Well, Kevin, you're sort of locked down now. New wife, new life. And she looks like she'd love to have more kids. Once the little kids come into the picture, it's pretty much over.
KC: (Let's go of her arm and paces the spot where they are. His back is to her.) This is my fault. I'm the knucklehead. How could I waste all that time joking around and fooling around?
WH: (Touches his shoulder) Well ... (she's speechless.) It's partly my fault, too. For not seeing things that you've been straining to tell me for years.
KC: (Wipes his face) All I can tell you is that you're too special, too kind, too smart, too talented and too beautiful for me to just want to be your friend.
WH: (Turns him around) If being my friend is all I can get from you, all you can give, then I'll take it. (She moves in for a kiss, then pulls away.)
KC: That's some consolation prize.
WH: (Rests her head on his chest and hugs him) Well, that's all I have for you. And the next time I catch you getting out of line, I'm coming after you like any close friend would.
KC: (sniffs) Yeah. Well, I'm still gonna whup his @ss the next time I see him.
WH: No you won't. And don't ruin this mood.
KC: He's ruined every mood form now to eternity. I'm beatin' his @ss in the kitchen, Frank Farmer style.