View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 AM
i never learn
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I think that might depend on how differently Brian and Justin grew up. I think Justin doesn't have self esteem issues, those issues that make you doubt anyone will ever really love you and make you doubt you even deserve that love. He grew up as a happy child, with parents and a sister that loved him. For Brian it was different, I think he's always missed love so he grew up finding ways to cope with that absence. And even when he is loved when he's an adult, he finds it difficult to believe in it.
obviously, the way you are treated growing up affects your future relationships, but essentially, brian and justin started out their adult life the same way. to say brian didn't fundamentally change his outlook on love completely denies what he and justin shared, honestly. i mean, how long can you really hold on to what happened to you as a youth before you accept that you create your own life and family apart from the one you're born into? brian had love though. from michael, anyway. and even debbie, i'm sure. it's not like brian was completely devoid of what love or family meant. then there is linds.

i always thought what was so fascinating about the brian and justin pairing was the fact that you had brian who was in your face and out, but as much as he didn't care about being gay, he hid the truth from his parents. justin didn't. he literally lost his entire life by being who he was. it's just so ironic that we're supposed to believe brian is justin's teacher, in a sense, but there was so much more to be had beyond liberty ave. at least for justin, anyway.