View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 05:41 AM
mary ksand
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shereile (View Post)
All of this.

TV shows/writing Maybe I missed something but it seems to me like this season every show wants to win the competition of "worst writing of the year" or something like that. Basically all CW shows are trying to take this one home

So far I only enjoyed BBC's Sherlock, because every other show I watched was pathetic compared to that.
I swear there was no year when I would be more disappointed with tv shows than I am now. They really seem to have a competition: who fails more? Who writes a more ridiculous "edgy" twist that ruins the show beyond repair? Who manages to make characters' motivations more unclear? Who manages to mess up character development more? Yeah, television is truly what mayans were talking about regarding 2012.

My biggest tv disappoiuntment is however, not a CW show, but...

Skins/Life I never head bigger expectations regarding a tv show and ended up THAT disappointed. I never quite buy all the hype surrounding modern shows and try to be realistic but after Skins writers themselves marketed their show as something truly unique and almost phenomenal and comletely original I expected to see something more there other than few insulting cliches (such as being a teen virgin means being "useless"), mindless and ridiculous "edgy" twists, lazy character development and Harry Potter & Shakespear references. Not to mention that the overall outlook on life that Skins writers have is basically a polar opposite to mine and few characters that I found actually likeable, believable and intriguing were mistreated in every single possible way in order to prop writers' favourites. For this show it's a norm to justify bastardy, bitchy-ness and violent, abusive behaviour as long as you either have daddy issues or whine enough to make your suffering "epic". That's why such characters are given passes for everything and all the harmful and disturbing actions whereas other far more decent characters that face just as much drama, heartbreaks and way more serious family issues are either being ruined for the sake of some "shocking" storylines or ignored completely & due horrible deaths. Add to this how this show claims to be on the side of young people yet, not able to handle serious issues on their show in a respectful manner, they label a depression victim as "doomed" and claim that some people deserve to die because they don't have an ability to beat the hell out of someone (or don't have a "do whatever you want as long as daddy didn't love you and as long as you keep your image of a super bitch/bad ass updated" card while other far more decent characters will have to pay the full price for their mistakes) which apparently makes them "weak". To claim that this show produced something meaningful and to then bitch at fans for pointing at their insanely ridiculous storylines done for shock value, the ones that ruin all the logic of their story, and claim that those fans who dare to criticise it just have "no sense of what of subtlety" and need to "bugger off" (direct quotes from one of the creators), is completely uncalled for and turn this show into even more unpleasent experience. At least for me it was one of my most unpleasent experiences ever.

I wonder how it is possible to have an OTP on a show that insults me as a woman and a human being all together?

icon: swanspirate@tumblr