View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 AM
~Search4Truth~
Elite Fan

Thanks for the link, Zain. While I don't agree with their comment, it is their opinion, which they are entitled to.

I don't think Seth stole every scene he was in (he was great, but to say that I think is overrating him), but they have the right to say what they want to say. For others, Ryan was a more interesting character than Seth and some people think Ben McKenzie is a better actor than Adam Brody while others think Adam Brody was a better actor than Ben McKenzie.

When judging these things, it's usually all subjective. If someone relates to Seth, then it makes sense that they will like him more. If someone connects with Ryan, then it makes sense that they will like him better than Seth and pay more attention to him. Ben is very subtle so you have to pay close attention to his little nuances and all the little things he puts into the character. If you don't, then you'll miss what he's trying to do, but he was wonderful in his role - but if someone watches the show from the standpoint of just wanting to be entertained, they are not going to pay attention to what he was trying to do and that is understandable. He is the kind of actor that is mostly appreciated by fans who watched the show for a deeper reason - wanting to analyze the characters.

I do appreciate objectivity, and I have seen diehard Adam Brody fans give Ben McKenzie enormous praise for his wonderful portrayal on The OC, even though they weren't Ryan fans. But unforunately, a lot of people don't know how to be objective. If someone is being completely honest, they are both good actors and neither outshined the other really. They each just attracted completely different audiences. The author of the article seems to think that his opinion represents the general public's opinion, and I don't think that's necessarily true.

I don't think Ben McKenzie is worried about any of that right now though. What matters is that right now, he is one of the stars of an Emmy award winning, critically acclaimed show. He could care less about this random guy's opinion I'm sure.

Quote:
i haven't seen southland yet, so i'm not reading any this (until later), but thanks for the new thread TC.
You're welcome, Soph.
-The Holy Qur'an [13:16]

Last edited by ~Search4Truth~; 01-21-2012 at 10:24 AM