View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM
GrhmLz
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Some people crucified them it was so excessive and i didn't feel that it was always justified by their actual actions in the show. It seemed like if everything they did was wrong regardless.
Yeah, I think it was because alot of us fans were critical of the writing directions - I mean, if I were to take S3 and pretend it was it's own show/entity, and I wasn't comparing it to S1 (or some of S2) - it's certainly passable. Compared to other shows today?! Most definitely, I would take it in a heartbeat, lol.

Overall, I do not like S3, but I can still stand to watch it and there are certain plot points, and a few episodes that I liked, but some of the ideas that I thought had potential I just think could have used better development. First off, I agreed with Jonathon Frakes' own sentiments after the fact ... that they shouldn't have dropped the majority of the sci-fi storytelling in the final season. It wouldn't have been perfect, after S2's mess, but I think ML would have at least felt a bit more 'familiar' to fans. Secondly, I liked the idea of them bringing the second shapeshifter into the story, Langley, I just wish he could have had more importance and more backstory that connected back into some of the S1 storyline. His episodes, even though I don't like the 'Max searching for his son' plot at all, are generally a couple that I don't mind watching. Then there is Khivar. I liked the idea of bringing him to earth, to the audience, of us being able to see the source of all the Antarian drama brought to earth, but I think it was a poor casting choice, and the storyline was executed very poorly. I would have prefered a character who was more of a threat, a real villain to be reckoned with, not a one episode arc character that was about him being lovesick for Vilandra/Isabel and that's all there was to him.

I do like Ch-ch-changes and the concept of it. I actually wish this could have been explored earlier in S3, in place of a baby search storyline, because at least this would have been strictly ML-centered in plot, something that didn't involve a connection to a third party (a baby from a one-night stand with one of the show's most hated characters).

Quote:
The ending of season 2 when M&L didn't agree about Alex's death.. Now that is OOC and completely forced for them both. They're not recognizable as the same characters from season 1 for me.
I liked this and didn't at the same time. I liked it, because it gave Liz some decent story instead of just being some backdrop character to a broken up 'main relationship' who was hanging out with Sean. At least here, she was actively involved in seeking out Alex's killer and finding out what really happened to him. That was very interesting for me to see Liz take charge, when her gut told her she was right. To me, that's not OOC of Liz in and of itself, because I can see Liz being outright loyal to her friends or getting answers. Just like in S1, during the RiverDog episode, she told Max she was going to get answers, and she didn't come to see him for his permission. I think we just saw that being embellished on a greater scale, while ML were on the outs with each other.

On the other hand?! What I didn't like was the way they didn't agree. I do agree about the characters becoming OOC to a degree with this because I feel it was done intentionally - it was 'forced' because the writers needed to create a set of circumstances in order for Max to sleep with Tess. So, that's why I end up with mixed feelings on this particular plot point.

Quote:
I think that this is the main reason.
It's the reason of why the dreamer fanbase, at least the "old one" kinda split in two and some were able to enjoy season 3 while others hated it regardless.nowadays "new dreamers" have a different perception because they can see everything together. Also new tv-shows are so much worse toward the shippers that for some people M&L are heaven compared to the current tv-couples.
Yup, we're called 'spoiled dreamers' - alot of us split off and then fit into that category. It was kind of necessary for discussion purposes because dreamers didn't want to 'war' with other dreamers and all of us as fans wanted to feel comfortable expressing our opinions, so spoiled dreamers ended up with their own thread.

I also think that, yeah, it's definitely a different experience when you watch the show after it's off the air and get to watch all the episodes at once.

Quote:
anyway Roswell taught me that i firstly have to watch a show by myself and then read other people's opinions only after i watched it. Other people can involuntarily influence our perception of things. Fanbases tend to create "opinions trends" too where it's established that if something is seen as bad or good by one group then everyone must see it like that.
I think this might be easier or more the case when a person gets to watch a show, after the fact. At least, that's my opinion. Having experienced Roswell firsthand while it was airing, and then coming to the boards to discuss it, I can honestly say it wasn't so much a matter of 'influencing' each other as it was ... finding a huge group of people who shared your interests and were looking for similar things to happen on the show with storyline, characters, and relationships. There were a whole bunch of threads open to general discussion, theories, CHADS ... and it was amazing that fans could come up with such similar ideas or be hoping for certain things to reveal themselves off of storyline that was being revealed in S1. Seriously?! I remember theorizing in my head beforehand after watching a new episode, coming to the threads, reading, and being like ... 'OMG, I thought of that!' or 'OMG, that's what I want to see happen too' or 'That's what I already thought too' etc. etc. Shipping was intense back then but the discussions and theories were just as much fun.

Quote:
I'm one of those dreamers that didn't feel like MT ruined M&L for good. Not at all.
I may dislike some things but they don't bother me too much.
Yeah, for me, the baby storyline just completely did ML in for another season. I HATED the sex but probably could have lived with it ... eventually. Maybe. And it's not just ML - babies shared with third parties just kill any ship IMO, I don't like it, it destroys the essence of what makes a couple special to begin with. Sharing a baby with someone is a HUGE connection and deal, I don't take it lightly, so I don't in any storylines either.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 01-14-2012 at 05:51 PM