View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
gjoni
Ultimate Fan

From Ask Matt (no spoilers):

Quote:
Question: Love reading your "Ask Matt" column every week and I've been meaning to send this one in for some time now. My wife and I both love Parenthood and the way they can keep the stories realistic and relatable without feeling too heavy. It's really one of the few dramas we enjoy. I remember when production started on this show, Maura Tierney was set to play Sarah but had to drop out due to her health concerns at the time (happy to know she has recovered and thought she was an excellent addition to last weeks Office episode) and she was replaced by the always enjoyable Lauren Graham. Did the writers change Sarah's character type or history much to fit the new actress? It's not that I don't think Maura Tierney could play the role, I just think it would've been played a bit differently between the two of them. — Jeff

Matt Roush: My memory is kind of cloudy regarding the original Parenthood pilot, which featured Maura Tierney before she had to bow out. But while the character didn't really change in specific terms of what Sarah and her kids were up to in the pilot, the tone lightened up considerably with Lauren Graham in the role, and that extended to the show as well, dialing back the angst a bit to bring more humor into the family drama. Tierney tends to be an edgier actor, so while I'm not saying Parenthood became better or worse with this pivotal cast change, it did feel different.

Sign Petition For More Gilmore Girls