View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Manu9
Fan Forum Star

I agree with most of what Steffi said. QAF was definitely peculiar with its ending, because except for Michael and Ben, all the other characters didn't have a traditional happy ending, the one usually call "happily ever after". It was more of a "happy for now" end. It was a new beginning for most of them: Ted/Blake, Mel/Lindsay, even Brian/Justin. But I still don't believe Brian was unhappy after the proposal. In the very end, he was surely heartbroken because Justin, Lindsay and Gus all moved away, but I also think he was happy too, because he had a new chance to make things work with Justin, and he knew better where he stood with Gus.

I think Steffi is right when she says the ending is not a point of arrive, but mostly another stop in their journey, for all the characters. I think Michael's finale voiceover gives that message too: "No matter what happens, no matter who's president, we will survive".

Of course, we can discuss if the writers did the right choice of it would have been better to give us a more traditional ending. I'm not sure myself about it. There are things I don't like about the finale, but I think it's one of the things that made QAF unique.