View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 AM
Nicole1404
New Fan

Quote:
Adam Brody makes waves in ‘Good Vibes’, another “teen life in So.Cal” series

Looking at Woodie, the lanky, blond-Afroed “surf dude” in MTV’s new animated high school comedy Good Vibes, you would probably never be able to guess at the man behind him. Listening to Woodie, with his slow, relaxed drawl might not be much help. But the talented voice actor bringing Woodie to life, Adam Brody, swears that he has more in common with his new character than his fans might imagine.

“I liked the way he looked. He actually seemed to look a lot like me when I was in high school,” Brody laughed when LA TV Insider Examiner had a chance to catch up with him for the show’s premiere.

Brody didn’t necessarily go through the “Sun-In” phase in order to get his now dark hair so luxuriously blond, but he didn’t need to. He shared that since he surfed everyday when he was in high school, he had an au natural blond Afro. Plus, he feels he had a lanky build, too, just like Woodie. But he didn’t want to make the character too much like him, and so he adopts a much different voice for Woodie-- one that, without reading the show credits, probably would give you no clue he was even the guy doing it.
Advertisement

“You know, I auditioned and the way it was when I went in was I saw a sketch of the character, and I tried a couple ways, including just my own voice…I don’t know; it was the way that made the most sense to me and it seemed to work. It wasn’t really a conscious decision not to use my own voice,” Brody explained. “One of the most fun things on the show, I think for everyone…you know, we each fill in for when there’s a one-liner here or there, and that’s such a blast, to come up with a new character for one or two lines. I have gotten to do one or two in my own voice.”

Those may be Easter eggs his biggest fans relish in finding. Good Vibes in general is chock full of those moments, though. Since it is an animated series, Brody boasted that the show got to pack even more funny into every minute and every frame, simply by “drawing something funny happening in the background.” And it’s setting is ripe for comedy all on its own.

“I love the world, you know? It’s such a nice-- it’s a world I know really well. I grew up in Southern California, certainly being on The O.C. for a long time, it was just really fitting that this show of all of them would be the one I’d be on. It hit home, and I really enjoy the subject matter,” Brody said.

Like The O.C., Good Vibes is set in Southern California, but well, that’s really about where the parallels end, and that’s how Brody at this point prefers it. The world in Good Vibes is its own, though it will reference a lot of other pop culture phenomena simply because its characters are so caught up in that world. They may spend their free time on the beach, but their heads are not buried in the sand to the workings of Hollywood around them.

“I think already it is sort of a nod to The O.C. I think to take it a step forward and say have a Seth Cohen pop up on this might be gilding the lily a little. And I think it might be kind of an old reference at this point because the things they reference pop culture wise are almost all sort of current MTV shows, and so I don’t even know if half the audience would get the reference.”

Brody’s favorite moments from the show thus far have come from those almost “ripped from real life” scenarios, namely the upcoming “Floatopia” episode, which Brody admitted was based on a real life event down in San Diego.

“There’s a loophole where you can’t drink on the beach, but it was legal if you were a certain number of feet out in the water,” Brody previewed. “So a thousand beach-- there’s this video online where a thousand people are out in waist-deep water having a party out there. We have an episode based on that that’s fun and I think thematically mirrors the show very well. You know, they’re trying to become popular in school with girls…And I think that’s a really solid premise!”

Good Vibes is a high school show, and as much as it is taking on a lot of the issues that other high school shows are tackling (but just doing it in a more free-form and sardonic way; it is a cartoon after all!), it may also dabble in unintentional parody from time to time.

“We have a whole musical episode,” Brody teased. “It’s sort of a nod to Mamma Mia…I think nothing’s off-limits! We can certainly pull from everywhere, and there are certainly plenty of pop culture references and sort of teen references of the moment. I think we’ll take from whatever’s in the culture at the moment…Funny is funny, you know?”

Good Vibes airs on MTV on Thursday nights at 10:30pm, premiering on October 27th 2011.
Adam Brody makes waves in ‘Good Vibes’, another “teen life in So.Cal” series - Los Angeles TV Insider | Examiner.com