View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 PM
dive into you
Fan Forum Star

I think so too.

Quote:
'The Hunger Games' director discusses music, scenes, more

MTV has released another video package, this time featuring a question and answer session with The Hunger Games director Gary Ross!

In it he answers lots of fan questions including: how the soundtrack is coming along, what scenes need to be most faithful to the book, and MUCH more. Do give the video a watch below. We can’t wait to hear more from Ross and the rest of the cast/crew!

MTV

TRANSCRIPT:

What’s the status for the music on for the Hunger Games?

T. Bone and Dan really haven’t started working yet. I mean we have all begun working together, we’ve all begun discussing music, pulling references, going through the initial processes you go through, you know music can actually affect a movie almost more than anything else. It establishes the tone, and it literally can change the way you feel or perceive a movie and so that is a very very long discussion that happens between me, T. Bone and Danny. And that’s already begun. Danny was out [in North Carolina] last week, T. Bone has been out 3 times. We’ve begun this conversation now of trying to understand what this is musically but that’s not gonna start for a while now.

How did Jennifer train for the role of Katniss?

Oh my god. Well it’s an intensely physical movie first of all. Jen is in; someone said Jen is in 110% of the movie, which is really true. She works every day all day. It’s a very physical demanding thing that she is doing. She did train really really rigorously. She worked with an athletic trainer – someone who conditions athletes in Los Angeles, she had intensive archery training. So she’s had a very rigorous athletic conditioning program.

How did you create the “girl on fire” look?

That’s a really good question. There’s just some things that you don’t want to give away. You wouldn’t want me to give them away. I think it’s going to be a fantastic moment when it happens in the movie and I can tell you what that is verbally but it would kind of wreck it for people, so I’m going to resist the temptation to give a spoiler on my own movie right here.

What scenes are most important to recreate faithfully?

I think there’s many iconic moments in the movie, there are many moments that fans gravitate to and um just tremendously important to them. Obviously the death of Rue is something that every fan thinks of and how emotionally powerful that it, how important that is to the movie, it that it, that you not hold punches that can also be handled sensitively and emotionally and honor the emotion of it. That’s just a beautiful scene and T. Bone wrote a beautiful lullaby for Prim’s lullaby that is eventually sung to Rue, it’s just absolutely gorgeous and Jen practiced and rehearsed that with T. Bone and sang it in that scene. I think it was an emotional scene for everybody to shoot and one that was tremendously important. I shot one yesterday, the moment before she goes into the games when she’s in that launch chamber and that tense moment with Cinna before she actually has to leave and that was hugely important. Obviously the tribute parade when she becomes the girl on fire and the flames were trailing behind her, that’s hugely important. And I think everybody thinks about the berry scene with her and Peeta at the end and the fact that they would rather give their lives than to take one another’s lives, which I think is one of the most poignant and really powerful things of the book, it’s something that every fan gravitates to. So I think those are just some of the moments but they are all tremendously important. I mean look Suzanne wrote a book full of dozens of those moments which is one of the reasons why it is so popular, and my job is to do justice to call of them.
Quote:
'Hunger Games' Director Unpacks VMA Footage

Gary Ross says Jennifer Lawrence will help him give viewers the same 'visceral experience' as the books.

While the "Hunger Games" sneak peek lit up the MTV Video Music Awards, on Sunday, director Gary Ross was back in North Carolina, his head space not so much occupied with Lady Gaga in drag and Lil Wayne's long dreads as it was with Katniss Everdeen and the dystopian nation called Panem.

Ross is still in the midst of shooting his adaptation of "The Hunger Games," but last week, with the teaser set to debut at the VMAs, he took the time to touch base with MTV News via Skype to give us his exclusive commentary about the footage.

Katniss Vision

Suzanne Collins' novel is a first-person tale, and it's clear from the teaser Ross is striving to capture that same sort of immediate access into Katniss' head. "I think one of the most important things when you adapt a book like this is to give people the experience they really had when they read it — the same kind of visceral experience they had," he explained. "I think [the reason] everybody felt so strongly in what Suzanne did was that they were with this character, they understood her, they were in her shoes, they were in her head. It was such an intense first-person experience. My job in making a film is first and foremost to reflect that.

"How do we get inside Katniss' head? How do we feel what she's feeling? How do we become her?" Ross continued. "The first thing that allows you to do that is Jennifer Lawrence, because she's such an unbelievable actor. She has so much depth and power and talent and sophistication and sensitivity and subtlety that she's become Katniss Everdeen synonymously. I hope people feel about Jen and Katniss at the end of this three-book cycle the way they feel about Daniel Radcliffe and Harry Potter — that they've become very synonymous with one another."

Gale's Voiceover

That voiceover you hear during the trailer? That's Katniss' District 12 pal Gale Hawthorne (Liam Hemsworth). And Ross has a very specific idea in mind about the importance of making Gale a part of this initial footage (and not Katniss' Hunger Games companion, Peeta Mellark).

"As everyone knows, Gale is an enormous part of Katniss' life, but he's not as big a part of the first book as he is the subsequent books," the director told us. "I think he's very, very present and he's tremendously important, but of course we shift into the Capitol and then the arena, where Peeta ends up playing a more prominent role. But he's in her head, he's in her life, he's something that echoes with her throughout the games, as any reader of the book knows, so he plays an obviously prominent role."

The Difficulty of the Shoot

Though Ross and his team didn't have to contend with giant fireballs in the woods, as Katniss does in the first book, the filmmaker revealed that the set in the North Carolina forest posed quite a challenge to the production. "This was like shooting in Vietnam," he said. "I felt like I was making 'Apocalypse Now.' The thing was so rigorous. We spent something like six weeks outside in the jungle every day, hiking up and down mountains with cameras and in the mud and in driving rain storms. We all felt it, but nobody felt it as much as Jen did. It's been an intense physical experience for her."

Just Getting Started

While Ross was proud to show off this initial footage, he told us this is only the beginning and that there are a few scenes and characters in particular that he can't wait for people to see in the future. "We're still shooting, so unfortunately, it's just a teaser," he said. "We could only give you a little bit, because we're still down here making the movie. I've got to leave in half an hour and shoot. But there's a lot of things to come that I think are going to be hugely epic and very emotional and incredibly powerful. I think that we've done wonderful things with the mutts. I think that we've done a tremendous job bringing the Capitol to life, and I think that's going to be really, really exciting for people to see. And all the performances! Wait till you see Stanley Tucci do Caesar Flickerman."

Source