View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 05:48 AM
mary ksand
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerette89 (View Post)
Completely understand you on that one. It's the same reason why I can't stomach most Wuthering Heights adaptations, they tend to reduce Catherine to a non-entity and push her in the background and make it Heathcliff-centric, while destroying everything that is great about Heathcliff, turning him into some whiny, self-pitying bastard.

And word on Anna/Stephen. I also think that in RL they are adorably cute together, but on screen they just don't do anything for me. It's not that I even cringe at their scenes, I'm just completely indifferent (and that's the same way I felt about JK ). On the other hand, the chemistry between Anna and the actor who plays Eric (don't know his name) is just incredible. Though, tbh I'm not sure if I'd be able to fully get behind the show's ES either, because there seems to be a lot of controlling and manipulating tendencies in that relationship as well. But since I see everything out of context, I might be wrong about that one.
I get what you are saying I'll have to read this novel to fully understand it, but just in general I hate when movie adaptations are doing it. It seems cheap and lame and turns an adaptation into some cliched hollywood movie.

And word on Stephen/Anna, they are adorable in RL. I actually find Matt and Evi adorable in RL too, but on screen they are painfull to watch because of complete lack of chemistry + I think a horrible relationship those couples share add a lot of hatred to that.

Yes, I agree, relationship between Eric and Sookie are also very flawed. The thing (and that one thing I really like about the series) is that Charline Harris vampires live in their own world with it's own laws. They've been living like that for many many years and even though some vampires tend to date people, they cannot change their nature and the way they live for them. However, when it comes to Eric, he is too much of a strong and independent personality and despite him still being a part of a system, he is not afraid to live by his own rules. And when it comes to Sookie he is always the one to break those rules to keep her safe (and it basically starts from the very beginning of their interactions. He puts her above the system despite not wanting to admit it). When it comes to human/vampire romance I think different rules work for it because a writer creates a whole new world there. You should try to watch the show and see what you think, also I recommend you to read books first, because when it comes to characterization (espectially characters of Eric, Sookie and some supporting characters) books are clearly superiour imo

icon: swanspirate@tumblr