View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 PM
Nekoshoujo
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Azura (View Post)
I would like to see this too. Every abusive relationship on the show so far has had the male being abuser, but it is possible for the female in the relationship to be abusive as well. It would be interesting to see how this would be handled.
Will this happen with Kenna this season? Probably not because I can't see Degrassi going there. But I think if they actually committed to this storyline it would make an impact on boys who are abused and don't report because of the stigmas associated with being the victim.

What storylines could you see taking place in your own high school? What ones felt the most realistic to you? What about the most unrealistic?
I thought Kenna getting back together was unrealistic. I know plenty of teen parents and only one dad who stepped up to the plate and even he didn't get back together with the baby mama. So far with pregnancy storylines: Jiberty, Mia, even Cranny the dad always comes back in the picture and steps up to care for his kid. But in reality this doesn't happen that often.

High school is full of cliques. What group of friends reminded you of people you would see in your hallways? This can also leave a person feeling quite isolated; was there a moment that captured how you felt on the fringe and lonely?
I had an unusual high school experience because I kept moving, but this also means I've been to a bunch of different schools and honestly I've met a lot of people who are similar to Degrassi characters. I think there's a lot of girls like Anya who are pretty cheerful and well liked despite making mistakes and being a little dorky. Even when she was HJ's shadow it reminded me of real high school girls. The popular girls an school always seem to have a rank like so-and-so and her friend so-and-so are queen bees and they have friends who are popular too but also do everything their queens tell them too. It reminds me a lot of Paige/Hazel and Manny in Wannbe. I know a lot of girls who think nothing of treating their "friends" like they're a lower class or something.

I've met plenty of girls who are like Jenna too. Those girls who think that their boyfriends are far more important than their friends. Some of them seem like they would do anything for the guy they're with (or want to be with) including throwing friends under the bus. I was actually friends with a girl like this for awhile. To her other girls were just bugs to step on in the way of her snagging her latest boy toy.

Honestly as far as cliques none of them reminded me of my friends until season 10. When I finally settled in to my last high school for senior year I had some really close friends who actually understood me. I was working pretty hard on my art portfolio so I befriended the other kooky alternative kids. It was the first time in a long time I met people who actually liked the music I listened to and everything. I was basically a misfit. I liked that in season 10 Degrassi showed (with Eli, Adam, and Clare) that sometimes even if you are on the fringe of the social scene and hang out with the so called "losers" that you can actually find people you really connect with.

What character, storyline, or moment in the series reminded you of your high school experience when you were the most happy? Most unhappy?
As far as happy like I said above the Misfits really captured what senior year was to me.

As for unhappy, I really connected with Bianca when she started dating Drew and KC, Jenna, etc. were giving them crap because of her repuation. At one of the schools I attended I was considered a hot piece of gossip. People made a lot of assumptions about me and spread rumors until I got a reputation that was rather unfair. I was judged just because I couldn't live up to everyone's white bread standards. It's hard coming from a rough family/part of town. Even if people have never even talked to you they still think they have the right to judge you. So for me Bianca represents a big part of what my life was like in high school.