View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 02:46 PM
ElectricHearts
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Jennifer Garner’s latest visit to Charleston was billed as a red-carpet gala but included something far more personal.

She and her actor-husband, Ben Affleck, had their younger daughter christened at the East End church that watched her grow up.

Garner, who was raised in Charleston, visited over the weekend to attend a Saturday night benefit for the theater program that helped her blossom into the actress she is today.

The next morning, she and the rest of her family watched as Seraphina Rose Elizabeth Affleck was baptized at Christ Church United Methodist.

Seraphina, 2, is one of two daughters of Garner and Affleck. The couple’s older daughter, Violet, 3, was baptized in the same church when she was 1.

The Rev. Randall Flanagan, the Rev. Shauna Hyde and retired Bishop William Boyd Grove performed the christening.

Hyde said the service was a delight for the couple and the congregation.

“They were happy, I think. It’s not a decision that parents enter into lightly; it’s something you want to do,” Hyde said.

“It was nice and we love baby baptisms around here. We celebrate each one.”

Bill and Pat Garner, Jennifer’s parents, and other family members also were at the christening, along with actors Victor Garber and Corena Chase, Seraphina’s godparents.

Garber co-starred with Garner on the long-running TV series “Alias.” Chase has appeared in movies with both Garner and Affleck.

The Christ Church congregation was just happy to see Garner return for a visit.

“A lot them have known her for a long time, so I think more of their excitement comes from not seeing her for awhile than anything else,” Hyde said.

“They’re proud of her, I think. They were happy to see her.”
Garner, family visit her hometown church - Arts & Entertainment - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -