View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Sugz
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor-baby
Possible and credible are two different things.
True enough but "possible" is the only necessity for a teenage soap opera, "credible" certainly is not a requisite.

Quote:
And if Stupin himself (in season3 DVDs) comment said that they made the wrong choice in making her cheating on Pacey ,that it was a bit out of Andie's character and that she never totally recovered from that I think it can be true.
And even if Dawson had his flaws during the previous seasons. Nothing can be compared to his behaviour in season 3. If you tell me that at times he was sellfish and talked to much I'm right with you. But you have also to admit that he was always the first one to make amends after. The few times in which he offended Pacey in season 1 and 2 he always went to him to apologise.
And physical abuse?? Please. It was always Pacey who punched Dawson first. Dawson just reacted.

Im sure in hindsight Stupin regretted it, it didnt exactly shed Andie in the greatest light but that doesnt mean it wasn't possible. As for Dawson, I do beg to differ, not that it really matters who throws the first punch sometimes, it's really all about the reaction, if you can bring yourself to squarely punch a guy whom you just heinously insulted about his long time girlfriend that he was just cheated on by who, by the way, is SO DRUNK that he MISSED YOU when he tried to hit you first, then you definitely have it in you to do some of the things he did in late season 3. Plus Pacey did not alwasy throw the first punch, I recall a basketball incident in season 1 where Dawson was the one to get physical first.
Anyway Im not trying to change your mind on the Dawson/Andie facts of season 3. I do concede that they were not written in the greatest light perhaps to bring PAcey and Joey into the forefront but I can also remember a time in season 4 where Pacey was written like a jackass that scremed at his girlfriend in the middle of senior prom and Dawson was "picking up the pieces". SO it doesnt just happen to poor Dawson, it happens all the time when and with whom the writers want it to happen with.

Quote:
I do keep in mind that. I just find funny how you always find a way to justify the most wierd PJ situations and find totally lame or impossible the DJ ones.
Because let's face it. Coda had a longer build up than Castaways. But still two people closed in KMart are credible and fine, while two frist lovers who never completely let go of each other and were ONCE UPON A TIME in love couldn't talk about their past as friends and lovers before getting separte ways to go to college. I think that in both cases they did what they could to bring back the couple of the moment. That's what I was meaning.

Im positive that I agreed that Castaways was completely contrived, if you scroll up about 2 posts you'll find it. I have no problem whatsoever admitting that a Pacey and Joey situation was silly or contrived or that Pacey did something stupid, I never have, but I do think that a situation like Castaways, which was a sweeps episode, was about drama. Like I said before, certainly Pacey and Joey sitting on a couch watching movies and deciding they had feelings for one another again wouldnt be the greatest drama. But in Coda, thats exactly what they did, just more boring. I do agree that the situation are similar, two couples who hadnt approached romance ina long time rediscovering feelings but what I thought was silly about Coda that cannot be applied to Castaways was that just an episode before Joey was completely broken up over a relationship that had just ended and proceeded to completley forget about it come the next episode and season whereas in Castways, the situation was far more realtistic, Joey was broken up about a relationship and when that guy came back, she left Pacey. That makes sense, Coda did not. And dont tell me it was the magic of Dawson and Joey, it was just silly and a horrible, very regrettable way to make a transition between couples. Keep in mind, Im not saying that the outcome of Coda, JOey and Dawson rediscovering feelings for one another, was silly or contrived, I just thought the way they approached teh episode and the way they transitioned back to DJ was far too abrupt and cheesy.

Quote:
Weird scenarios weren't only about DJ but also about PJ and the other couples.
And as I said before I found PJ's break up and Pacey sailing away credible and built up for many episodes.You don't. Fine.
We can have different opinions...and thank God.
I dont recall saying I ever found PJs breakup or Pacey sailing away not credible. It certainly was, it was a long time coming that Pacey and Joey were going to break up, perhaps not in the way they did, I think Paceys violent feelings were a bit out of the blue aside from the actual episode of Promicide, but him actually deciding that their futures were too different and leaving was certainly credible. All I was saying was that they couldve incorporated him more into the finale instead of sending him away an episode before in order to make the last episode of the season completley saturated in DJ, like I said the transition into DJ couldve been a lot more natural and subtle.

Quote:
I may overstimate them but I think that you understimate the DJ romance and bond a lot.
Don't you think that when you're 16 in the middle of the growing up process,are confused,have a very difficult past behind and have lived in such a huge symbiosis with your best friend ,it could be a little scary and also confusing being in a romantic relationship with him and at the same time understand who you really are and what you really want? As Joey herself said,for the most of the time she was just focused on getting together with Dawson,she was focused on him,his dreams etc, but not on her future or herself.
It was simply too much for her ,at that age, to handle and she needed to step back a little and find her way alone before of being with him.
I dont think I underestimate DJ's bond, I just dont think it was as intense and fabulous as some people say in later seaons. The way I see it Joey and Dawson started with a great bond in season 1 that just continually diminished and diminished over the 6 year run of the show to the point where in the finale they hadnt contacted each other for 5 years. Plus I really feel as if you're making their early failed romance far more complicated that it needs to be,. if saying that their earlier friendship made it so hard for them to figureo ut who they were and carry on a romance makes you feel better about the fact that they couldnt be boyfriend and girlfriend for very long in season 2 then thats fine, I just think it's really not that critical. They simply thought that since they had such a great firnedship maybe romance was in the cards but it just never really was. It's as simple as that to me. because if you point of view is really correct then later on when they grew up and dated other people and lived out of symbiosis they probably wouldve been able to be together but they never were. I suppose there's an excuse for their later failure too though.

Quote:
And I also don't think that in the end DJ weren't friends anymore. They spent time apart but PJ spent more time apart then them.
How many times did PJ really talk in season 5?I mean seriously talk?Not so many.
DJ had their times on their own,but in the end they always found a way to mend their relationship and overcame their problems if not as a couple as friends.
And their bond and frienship stayed strong despite the ups and downs.
I SOOO disagree with this. First, I never actually said DJ werent friends anymore in the end. Of course they were, they always would be. I just said that it was implicitly said in the finale that they hadnt contacted each other in 5 years. Plus just like PJ hadnt really spoken much in season 5, how much did Dawson an dJoey "really" talk in season 6? I recall a Christmas truce and then not so much from then until the very few last episode of the season and THEN they didnt talk for 5 years! So I dont think they werent friends, just not very close ones anymore.
Meanwhile I dont think you're seeing both sides of it. One thing I've always adored about Pacey and Joey is that even after they broke up they were great friends, Pacey and Joey really never had any horrible fall outs. The only time they really didnt talk all that much was before they were good friends/lover sin season 2 and in season 5 when they had moved on but were STILL friends. Meanwhile I cant count on one hand how many huge fallouts Dawson an dJoey have had where they didnt tlk to each other or were angry at each other. SO how you can say that despite the ups and downs they always stayed friends and try to make that a trump card over Pacey and Joey is beyond me. Pacey and Joey were the same, if not far more stable in the friendship/steady relationship department.
Not that Im comparing their bond, I think that Dawson and Joeys early bond in season 1 really lasted I just think that it says something that after almost every big fight or situation that happened with them they pretty much hada three month fall out, sure they always made up, but the point is there were a lot of points over the series where they really were estranged, I dont know of any time where Pacey and Joey were purposely estranged over something aside from between seasons 4 and 5 where they were on good terms though.

Quote:
Why could Coda be unrealistic? Because they kissed each other? Because they were sad because they were going into separate ways? I don't think that should be called unrealistic,because like it or not, Dawson and Joey meant something to each other, romantically or friendly, and every single time they had to say goodbye to each other it was painful... so I wouldn't call this an unrealistic thing...
Dude, Ijust explained it like...a gajillion times over my last few posts, I cant say it all again. If you really wanna know why I found it unrealistic just scroll up where I explained my POV again.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote