View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Sugz
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor-baby
I do keep in mind that PJ stayed together for 20 episodes or more including season 3. That's why treating them that way in season 5,like nothing had happened,like Joey had only had Dawson on her mind for the whole summer ,even if she had just been dumped by her one year-boyfriend Pacey, seemed like a way to say:"Yep Pacey's fears in season4 about Joey always choosing Dawson in the end were totally justified".
If I look at the whole show I can't help but think that that the DJ relationship always came first. Even if PJ stayed together for almost an year their main problem from the very beginning 'till the end was Dawson and Pacey's ensecurities toward him. I mean, how it comes that Joey couldn't completely take Dawson out of her mind 2 seasons after the break up and could,otherwise,get Pacey out of it after few weeks? If you look at season 5, keeping in mind the 4 past seasons, you really begin to think that after all Joey's love for Dawson was the strongest one because she could never get him out of her head.

You're completely ignoring the original point though. The point was the the only way to get back on to the D/J track was to treat Pacey and Joey like they never happened. I doubt that if they'd had Joey still thinking about Pacey or showed any signs from either Pacey or Joey that they werent over each other it wouldve been a LOT more difficult to get Dawson and Joey back in the minds of viewers, ignoring Pacey and Joey was the ONLY way. You keep ducking in and out of the writers viewpoints and the characters viewpoints which is making this confusing. From a writers viewpoint ignoring Pacey and Joeys past was the only way to get Joey and Dawson back on track romantically, just look at Coda, they had to ship Gretchen and Pacey off into exile to get Joey and Dawson alone in that bedroom and make it at least semi realistic. In order to make DJ work they had to literally stop in its tracks other storylines going on. There's something wrong with that.

But even if we did take your points into consideration and we did look at the fact that it did seem as if Joey had forgotten about her relationship with Pacey, I still dont see how it can be argued that Dawson was always the one she loved the most. They NEVER got together! Isnt there something fundamentally wrong there when you supposedly cant get someone else out of your mind but you cant actually ever bring yourself to BE with that person? It's so odd to me, I dont understand it nor do I see how anyone could root for it. To me the only reasonable explanation is that Joey and Dawson really did themselves in when they were younger, they developed this clingy bond so that when they grew up they just couldnt.let.go. when it was time to live their own lives. Pure and simple codependency. What other explanation is there for a pair that couldve easily just gotten together countless times but didnt? I fail to see the romance. Ive been in love and currently am and if you've ever been in love you know that not being with that person is not an option, there's no stalling involved, you want to be with them no matter what. I saw that in Joey at the end of season 3. How come this was never the case with Dawson and Joey? How come they let anything they could get in the way?

Quote:
With Pacey"she didn't feel it",with Dawson "was a huge mistake".
But while I took the huge mistake's line as a sort of rebound for Joey toward Dawson (she had just been hurt by him and wanted to make him feel her pain),I felt like she was completely honest with Pacey. Like she really did wanted Eddie in that moment and had hung out with him because she was feeling lonely and it was nice to relive the old memories.

I dont see how you can justify one and take the other as pure truth. She told Dawson that sleeping with him was a huge mistake and how in the world could you doubt that, she'd just found out that he was having sex with another women at the same time. I'd call that a HUGE mistake! I think Joey's assessment of it was right on and I do believe that she believed it since she never made her way back to him again. Along the same line, I think what she said to Pacey at the time was true as well, she just didnt feel it for him at that moment and she wanted to explore things more with Eddie, that's fine, fortunately for Pacey, that feeling didnt last.

Quote:
At first Joey was confused and had to find herself,then she was confused by her difficult family's situation,then it was Dawson who wasn't ready because he didn't want to be hurt again,then she fell for Pacey,then they decided to keep things slow to not rush into anything like had happened before,then Dawson's father death kept in the way. Dawson was devasted and confused so pushed Joey away.
It was always because they were too young and had to find who they really were,or because of an external event or because of the fear of being hurt etc.

But I totally disagree that these things were external! External is when you're torn apart because one of you is going to college and the other isnt and you feel lik eyou're headed in different directions a la Pacey and Joey (which were feelings they actually fought through and stayed together through!) What's not external is feeling like you have to find yourself, or feeling vulnerble or losing a loved one and pushing others away. Like I said before, if you really love and want someone, these things dont exist. Dawson and Joey just constantly made excuses to not be together, it's what I never understood about them. These were not bad timing situation, there were things that probabaly shouldve brought them together, like Mitch's death, but didnt.

Lastly, I agree that DJ and PJ cant be compared because they have different bonds but I dont think one is better than another. DJ have a platonic bond from childhood, PJ retain that romantic bond.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote