View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Nekoshoujo
Master Fan

Alright posting to say some stuff...

I have to agree with what some of you guys are, I really thought Anya's plot in MBIAC was quite strong and I wish we could have had more follow up with her family and not just set up for another relationship.

Favorite and least favorite episodes?
Top favorite episodes:
- My Body Is A Cage parts 1 & 2
- Umbrella part 2
- I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself 1 & 2
- All Falls Down 1 & 2

Already wrote up something on the first two: MBIAC & Umbrella part 2

I Just Don't Know What To Do With MyselfThis was the episode that got me psyched for the season! I don't care about the subplots so diving right into the A-plot: I wasn't really a big Sav fan, although towards the end of S9 I think I saw some potential but then this episode happened and he became one of my favorite characters. To me this is the perfect kind of Degrassi episode. It was one of those storylines that was easy for plenty of people to relate to. Parental issues, just wanting to have some fun, dealing with disappointment, panicing when things go wrong- who hasn't done those things? I also have to say for an episode so early in the season this plot was carried by only one character from a past season. The one three players were new kids we knew nothing about and I think it's one of the few times Degrassi has successfully introduced a group of characters without it seeming strange or clunky. On top of that it was really just a fun mix of personalities. Although this episode started my favorite new cast friendship of them all: Adam/Eli I'm a little sad that the Eli/Adam/Sav trio was never rivisited. They could have thrown another little B-plot in there, no? For me this just represents the perfect "soft" Degrassi episode: strong characters, a fun plot, someone to root for (Sav is my hero too!), and a little pinch of danger that's not really that threatening. This episode will forever hold a very special place in my heart.

Seriously though we need to reunite my three favorite boys again next season, okay writers?

All Falls Down is really more of an honorable mention but I really did not appreciate it the first time I watched if. After getting over they hype and revisiting it, I fell in love with that episode. It was great to get to see a different side of Fitz I really hope this is the Fitz that comes back next season: still a bully but one with a heart.That first hallway scene with Clare was quite cute! The way they connected the plots with Adam going between the A and B plot was very clever. Bianca proved herself to be a kick butt little feminist. Ziley was perfectly adorable- gave me hope for prom! Holly J's strip tease was a 10! Melinda and Daniel's chemistry was insanely creepy which brought a whole new angle to those Owen/Alli scenes: very intense. It was the start of Alli being likable again. Hotblack was honestly- in my opinion- the best placed song of the season. And really my top two reasons: All the music was diegetic which greatly impressed me. That was a Degrassi first and it really helped add some intensity to this episode. Seriously it also enhanced every scene making some more disturbing and others just more relatable. And honestly Munro's acting in that hallway scene- just wow. I think that was some of the best acting on the show in 10 seasons.

As for least favorite episodes, I thought You Don't Know My Name's A-plot was boring, pretty much anything Kenna realated.
Drop The World was epically disappointing BUT I think it was one of the best acted episodes overall this season. Every single person involved in that episode was at the top of their game.

Favorite and least favorite major plot lines?
Favorites:
- Adam's storyline throughout
- Fitz vs. Eli/The Misfits
- Fiona's transformation this season

Most pleasant surprise and biggest disappointment?
When the carnival promo came out Eli and Adam were the characters I was most excited for so I can't say that was a surprise however... Sav & Savvy J were!
In season 9 I was a big Hollan J fan, and so of course I was going into the season upset by the idea of Savvy J and yet they turned out to be my second favorite ship of the season. Sav in general was a surprise. Never would I thought I would call him a favorite character but honestly I absolutely adore him.

My biggest disappointment was kinda the opposite of my surprise. Kenna completely ruined KC for me this season. In season 9, KC was my absolute favorite character but after Better Off Alone his character completely fell apart in order to prop up Jenna- who was now a star of the season. After BOA KC was regulated to a supporting role in Jenna's storyline. His personality often fell flat- I'm thinking Halo where his change of heart about the pregnancy was not built up or explained in any way- and he stopped being "KC" and became half of Kenna, Jenna's babydaddy. So that was a major disappointment for me.

Especially since BOA was a really great episode, I think it would my second honorable mention after AFD.

The way the pregnancy storyline played out bothered me too. It seemed to be on the right track in TDOTO but then it veered into a fairytale that confused me greatly- straight down to the happy ending. TDOTO looked like the start of a realistic storyline that would have a been a great chance to give some much needed depth to Jenna. But instead we were treated to an unrealistic folly into a relationship with very little depth and a lot of fluffy nonsense.

Also major disappointment in Drew & Bianca just being cool with Kenna after getting majorly dissed. Bianca's Kenna fangirl tweet? N O T C O O L

And most importantly, that this season so damn realationship centric. Get back to the issues please!

Which characters didn't get enough screen time?
Bianca! Bianca! Bianca! Bianca! Bianca!
I hope this all just means that they are setting her up to be one of next season's darlings (like Fiona and Jenna's transformations this season) to make up for it. As much as I enjoyed her often cropping up in everyone's plots, I would have loved at least one episode that gave us a deep look into who she is. I'll be waiting on that next season.

Same with Anya because I think she deserved an A-plot. I would have loved to see them go deeper into her plot with her mom.

How would you rate this season compared to other seasons?
This was my favorite season of Degrassi. I have no idea why I'm feeling more connected to the new cast than the old but honestly I am.

Stand out characters for you this season?

Adam- His entire storyline was well done and not sterotypical. I loved that we had a chance to see him with a bunch of different people. He's moved me to tears, I feel protective of him, and I want him to be happy more than any other character I've liked before.
Eli- wow! Was not expecting what we got from him. I think he tends to be the character I relate to the most aside from Fiona. I loved the wild ride we took us on throughout the season. Also it's great to see Munro in a role that shows off his talents.
Fiona- Again a character I relate to. In a lot of ways I feel like season 10 belonged to her. She went on a journey this season and there wasn't a single episode where she bothered me or I disliked her. I think that says a lot.
Clare- Loved seeing her come out of her shell. I think she's has a very natural progression these past 3 seasons and I was glad to see she found a place where she felt she finally belonged. I was rewatching SMU and in her story she talks about not fitting in anywhere. But this season with her boys- it gave me a little hope that there's a place for everyone.
Sav- Another kid really coming out of his shell. Sav has show some real maturity this season. I like seeing him playing lots of different roles too. I'll support this boy till the end!

Seriously though Misfits friendship has deeply moved me this season. I've never felt so strongly about a connection between characters before. They got down as my favorite TV friendship of all time. That could count as another surprise because I had no idea I was going to feel this way about them. I was not prepared for these feelings~
Which reminds me this board needs a "degrassi inspired tattoo thread"

Last edited by Nekoshoujo; 05-05-2011 at 10:06 PM
Nekoshoujo is offline   Reply With Quote