View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
ellavm
Master Fan

Here's a review posted on IMDB...

"I was privileged last week to get the opportunity to see 'Mozart and the Whale' in its entirety and I am very excited about the upcoming release.

It is not only the best picture about the autism spectrum since Rainman. It is far better than that, showing us a glimpse as it does of people on the spectrum living as part of the 'real world' - not confined to institutions or treated as patients.

I think - and hope that those outside the autism community get the chance to agree - that it's a well told human story which celebrates people with autism and presents their lives as, although different, lives just as rich as anyone elses.

Josh Harnett and Radha Mitchell do an admirable job, as do the supporting cast of others representing autistic people (for example the Greg character, who lives his life through his writings). The cinematography and editing, in the view of this amateur, non-movie-critic type, also outstanding.

I think Jerry and his screenwriting pals have done a service to the autism community and to society in general by allowing us to see into these lives. I hope my perspectives aren't too warped - as a parent of a 13 year old boy with autism - not to see the flaws, because I couldn't find any."

thanks to fanhost.com for that one