View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 PM
Holland Fan Forever
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Dude, are you still in high school or remember it? Sorry. For calling you dude. Okay. But, technically, I believe Sav has made a deal with his parents that he's still taking engineer-related courses (like physics, chem, etc.--Jebuzz those are hard, and they're probably university level), while working towards showing them that he can also pursue music production. I don't know if that's still on the docket for him and is still being used in the writer's mind. ANYWAYS. If he is doing this, I do recall high school being a pain in the B during senior year, in terms of homework (4+ hours or you're not doing it right!, as my parents would say), worrying about college applications, and the like. I do believe they are BOTH busy.
I don't think that this show has lets us actually see Sav do much of anything relating to much else outside of his family and the few scenes with Holly J. Holly J is the one we actually see doing things and working towards a future it isn't vice versa to me. I think that the writers did show some restraint in not making Holly J Sav's drummer like the old Craig/Ellie storyline.

Quote:
Regardless of that though, I was referring to the fact that during the timeline of their two storylines: Holly J sick and working on a Twitter project and Sav worrying about Alli's well-being (as well as physically searching). I can't see these two making selfish decisions to make quality time for each other.
Holly J and Sav don't seem to make an effort to spend time together and it has nothing to do with this storyline. She's off living her own life and we get to see her on screen but it's not on screen with Sav much and with the amount of screen time she has she spends more of it without him then with him and more of that screen time could've been used to move their storyline in some kind of direction but, the screen time was given to Holly J alone or with others.

Quote:
PLUS. I like how Degrassi spans out the couple 'screen time' this season, whether it be about Savvy J, EClare, Dalli, etc. We do see handfuls of their time together at a time, then they focus on other people and other couples. I think this would be better, or else this board would be complaining about how there's TOO MUCH Savvy J. Haha.
I think that Sav/Holly J are on the backburner and like the other couples or not at least they get to deal with something even if we may not like how the issue is being dealt with. Sav and Holly J deal with no issues or obstacles which is a little odd for this show but, I think that also explains why they aren't on screen much together as well at least in part.

Quote:
Also, I became a fan of Sav's and I did relate to his struggles this season. I'm not a SUPER fan of the previous seasons, but I have a vague understanding of some of the obstacles he has gone through. Sure, Alli has been sort of the scapegoat in their family, and scapegoats usually get the butt of the jokes and the wrath of the parents, but that is expected; girls have it the worst in strict asian families (from my experience). But, that doesn't mean Sav hasn't felt negativity either. I think you could do good by looking back when he vented about parental pressure and how he had to sacrifice some of the experiences he truly wanted just to please his parents (I believe that's in the episode where he steals the car and takes Eli and Adam with him to a concert).
That storyline was dropped and dropped quickly and by the time Sav was given something constructive to do it was too little, too late for me and probably others as well. I liked the direction that both Anya and Sav's separate storylines earlier this season but, it seems to me that from the point of view of the writers that Sav and Anya just aren't all that important in their eyes unless they are dating or trying to date someone. A relationship storyline was the last thing Sav needed to me because here we are three years later and we know very little about him alone without a giirlfriend.

Quote:
They started out as a casual relationship, and after only one incident with Declan, I see that they're still treading 'safe waters' by keeping it sweet and simple. So, Sav isn't one-dimensional in this relationship because he's only abiding by their agreement of not complicating things and keeping things 'light'.
He is one demensional to me and even when there could be drama for them or him it's either ignored or swept under the rug. I think that the writers miss the fact that there is always more to some guy in this case who appears to be nice but, I think Sav could've definitely been given more to do and more of a personality than what we've seen.

Quote:
Anyways, I don't see how coming to your girlfriend's side to show your concern is cheesy or corny. I think you may be reading too much into his actions, because I can't see how visiting her any other way would make it more of a significant gesture. Was he supposed not go or not say reassuring things? She's going through dialysis, it's scary process (getting your fluids sucked out to be replaced with external fluids, then getting super weak, not to mention the limitations during and after treatment, don't forget the hours it'll take out of your day to do all of this). The less you say and the more you're simply there, it's better.
The dialogue with Sav at the hospital was cringe worthy but, I guess that I've learned not to expect much from Sav or to put it simply for the writers to give Sav anything compelling or interesting to say.

Quote:
But, really? Forget the flowers. When he was gently stroking her arm and looking at her in this helpless, concerned way, saying 'If I had known you were this sick...', I couldn't help but feel for them. She reciprocates, too! She looked up at him and just sighs in relief. I can't see how anyone can deny sincerity in that.
I think that it would've been far more interesting if Sav were the one in the hospital but, I didn't ever see that happening because it would've been about him alone for a second and the writers for whatever reason have never really let anything happen to him it's always to Alli or someone else around him.

Quote:
Degrassi is definitely entitled to have cringe-worthy dialogue. Savvy J is not the only ones guilty. It's a teen show made for teens. They eat that said dialogue up.
The difference to me here is Sav is a senior but he's never really been given a chance to do much of anything by himself. He and Anya were never given much to do other than be in a relationship storyline the other kids around them get to have actual storylines where we get to see actual direction and character development. I don't think we know any more about Sav than we did when he first came to the show.

Quote:
Also, the strip tease seemed kind of fun. Or maybe I'm not young enough to remember if I'd enjoy that at 16-17, but wait... RAGING HORMONES + HOLLYJ!STRIPGIFT = FUN.
I think that was the thing that put Vegas Night over the top and the kids are are on lockdown and so I think that strip tease affected the whole school in a negative manner and she seemed embarrassed by the whole thing afterwards.

Quote:
I feel like they don't need to suffocate us with Savvy J, this isn't the Savvy J's Degrassi Variety Hour. They're in a casual relationship that plan to end by graduation, so I think that's a sign that the writers are writing stories for them that suit a casual/non-drama-filled relationship. Again, a healthy, successful relationship doesn't necessarily need melodrama to make it's viewers believe it's real, especially not a casual one.
I don't think that this show was ever going to suffocate us with Savvy J because this show isn't exactly for doing much with the seniors even if they are there in some capacity.

Quote:
1) Was she speaking these harsh words to Jenna when Jenna asked her honest opinion on Sav?
No, it was her conversation with Chantay.

Quote:
2) Holly J shows no signs of 'dumbing down' her charachter. In fact, the reason why she's my favourite female character is because she's strong, independent, and smart. She's going to Yale, after all. What's more, there is no evidence of Sav interfering with these plans. Also, if he is taking a science and music load of homework, and knowing his parents I believe he's excelling in school, I think he can hold his own on the intelligence department.
I think that in order for Sav to deal with her that she can't be snarky. smart and inteliigent and I don't think Sav is interfering at the moment but, I would hate to see Holly J give up on Yale to stay with Sav. The other opposites attracts couples get to have dialogue that gets their storyline moving in a direction and their dialogue isn't over-the-top to the point of awkwardness and or chessiness every two seconds.

Quote:
I disagree. Sav, to me, has grown into a more mature person. He is taking on new responsibilities and dealing with being alone at Degrassi since his friends' grad. He isn't just a side kick anymore either, he's student prez for goodness sakes. I don't know if that means anything to anyone, but taking a leadership role and standing up to your parents most of all are huge character developments.
I think that the idea that Sav is president and not Holly J could've been a good a idea but, again we really just see Holly J doing all the work and so in the end she got what she wanted, even if it isn't reflected in her title. I don't feel Sav stood up to his parents because things have really just gone back to the way they were for him and the reason his family has tried to change is because of Alli and not Sav. I think that Sav only ran because his parents wanted him to becaise it woulld look good on college/university applications but his interest isn't sincere to me. This was done to give Holly J and Sav something in common. I also don''t think Sav realized just how much work is involved with being student council president and so I think he seemed to be in over his head which doesn't make him look good.

Quote:
I think this is the most real part about them that is genuine and is charming. I think all teens can relate to pining for connection, even if it's ultimately doomed. In fact, even when you grow up you'll find this desire. I think their naive perspective on their relationship is what makes it a legitimate storyline. So, for its universality, I think they deserve a little more credit than fully denying them.
I think that someone who's part of TPTB has seen that this relationship is doomed and that they decided to give Holly J screen time by herself and less time with him. I think Sav was written in a corner because if he's not dating Holly J he really doesn't have much to do unlike her.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola