View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Holland Fan Forever
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwinks (View Post)
I think the fact that they didn't really talk about the fake pregnancy is the thing that bothered me the most.

But other than that, I think it can be sometimes debated when exactly two characters "fall for each other".

With Fadam it was obvious that they were interested in each other when they were talking on the steps outside the school, at least to me. And they hung out during the food drive and in class and we'll probably get some more of that in In Too Deep.

With Eclare, it was clear to me that they first started liking each other when they skipped class and edited their essays. And they had other scenes after that in other episodes where we got to see their budding friendship. I mean, they already liked each other before they became good friends, but during the time they were hanging out we could see that those feelings were growing.

I mean, with Sav and Holly J, we got the one scene where they bond over student council. They talk about having a dance. Fiona mentioned that they'd been spending a lot of time on student council together, but we never get to see it after that, save a few brief scenes before they're kissing in the next episode. The moment it became clear to me that Sav had a crush on Holly J was the scene when he talks to her in the hallway and Fiona points out that he seems to like her, but we never see that with Holly J. They did make his behavior out to be pretty obvious. But it was news to me that she would even return his feelings. It was only when she kissed him at Above the Dot that I got we were supposed to think that she liked him back.

Not everyone are friends with each other before they date. Sometimes someone sparks your interest and you go out with them to get to know them. That's fine. The problem is, we never see Sav and Holly J actually developing as a couple by dealing with conflicts or getting to know each other outside of student council. We get brief scenes with them "having fun".

I definitely think that the reason Sav and Holly J don't get screen time is a combination of the writers not liking them as much as other couples, and also the fact that they seem to not know that the hell to do with them.
The thing is Holly J already knows through Anya what kind of guy Sav is. He's nice to a point but in reality he has no backbone and she took advantage of that when she expected him to forgive her for sleeping with Declan. I think that this goes back to the writers and the powers that be simply just never giving Sav anything constructive to do besides dating someone. Holly J does not need Sav or this storyline just to get screen time but it's not that way for Sav who without the relationship would have even less to do and what he's doing right now is not much to speak of in my opinion. It was never an issue of what to do with Holly J to me it was always the issue of what to do with Sav and because the writers and the powers that be didn't care to do much with him over the last three years that the fact that Sav is still written poorly isn't surprising because to me they gave up on Sav's character and his storylines long before now and this storyline and the complete lack of it just reinforces that point. These two don't look like they are "having fun" and there's no indication that much of anything is going on between them good or bad period and since there are no actual problems or issues that they ever deal with that to me easily explains why they get so little screen time and adding in the fact that they are seniors is just one more reason to put them in the background because this show generally speaking doesn't do much with its seniors regardless of who they are and how popular that they may be with viewers. I also can't help but notice that the other current ships include either two underclassmen or a senior and underclassmen and so I think being two seniors is just another thing being held against Holly J and Sav which given that Sav is involved isn't surprising because TPTB and the writers seem to go out of the way to make sure whatever may be going on is not actually about Sav and his character development in my opinion.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola