View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 AM
sprezzatura
Fan Forum Hero

This is another moment from the last few pages of that book too. I just get the sense that Cara gets a laugh from teasing Richard . Also a small bit of Cara/Kahlan near the end.

Quote:
A few days later, on a fine spring afternoon, as Richard and Kahlan strolled hand in hand through the streets, checking on the cleanup of the destruction from the battle, and the construction that was already beginning to repair what had been destroyed, Richard had a sudden thought. He turned, feeling the cool breeze and warm sun on his face.

"You know, I've demanded the surrender of the lands of the Midlands, and I don't even know how many there are, or all their names."

"Well, then, I guess I have a lot to leach you," she said. "You'll just have to keep me around."

A smile overcame him. "I need you. Now, and always." He cupped her cheek. "I can't believe we're together, at last." He glanced up at the three women and two men not three paces behind them. "If only we could be alone."

Cara arched an eyebrow. "Is that a hint, Lord Rahl?"

"No, it's an order."

Cara shrugged. "Sorry, but we can't follow that order out here. You need protection. Do you know, Mother Confessor, that we sometimes have to tell him which foot to use next? He sometimes needs us for the simplest of instructions."

Kahlan was overcome with a helpless sigh. Finally, she looked past Cara to the towering men behind. "Ulic, did you see to it that those bolts were installed on the door to our room?"

"Yes, Mother Confessor."

Kahlan smiled. "Good." She turned to Richard. "Shall we go home? I'm getting tired."

"You have to wed him, first," Cara announced. "Lord Rahl's orders. No women allowed into his room, except his wife."

Richard scowled. "I said except Kahlan. I never said wife. I said except Kahlan."

Cara glanced to the Agiel hanging on the thin chain around Kahlan's neck. It was Denna's Agiel. Richard had given it to Kahlan in a place between worlds where Denna had taken them to be together. It had become a sort of amulet — one the three Mord-Sith had never mentioned, but had noticed from the first instant they saw Kahlan. Richard suspected it meant as much to them as it did to him and Kahlan.

Cara's cavalier gaze returned to Richard. "You charged us with protecting the Mother Confessor, Lord Rahl. We are merely protecting our sister's honor."

Kahlan smiled when she saw that Cara had finally managed to nettle him, something she was rarely able to do. Richard took a calming breath.

Last edited by sprezzatura; 05-20-2010 at 08:48 AM