View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Tiger33
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiptoes (View Post)
I need your help again

I told you my friend is writing a fanfic based on T/S but she wants to get some backgrounder during the time of Tessa's surgey. So if any of you know about it, please do share.

How long have they been training in Michigan? During the time when Tessa had to undergo surgery, where they already in the US or in Canada? I know from the article during that time that Scott was practicing in Michigan during the 2 month interval while Tessa was in Canada recovering, correct?

And Jess, I love Tessa's style too in clothes.

I don't think anyone has answered yet so I'll take a stab.

Tessa and Scott moved to Michigan and started working with Marina and Igor in 2004 - the season after they won the Canadian Junior title.

As for the injury, the time line is a little sketchy, but here's what I can piece together...
-- 2007-2008 season - Tessa starts having pain in her shins. Reports indicate she had been having pain for about a year before the surgery.
-- Pain continues and intensifies over the summer as they were had at work trying to get programs ready for the following season. Doctors weren't able to immediately pinpoint the exact cause.
-- Summer goes on, Tessa's still dealing with pain, doctors eventually diagnose her with Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome. Everything is still pretty hush-hush in terms of her injury isn't really a widely-known thing.
-- Mid-September 2008 - Skate Canada has their annual High Performance training camp. Unlike previous years, the camp is closed to the public and in hindsight it's possible Skate Canada was trying to hide the injury. There were some pictures and quotes from other athletes about how awesome Virtue/Moir's Pink Floyd program was, but from what we now know they were likely only skating bits and pieces of the program at a time with Tessa needing frequent breaks.
-- October 6, 2008 - Tessa has surgery on both legs (in Canada)
-- Scott (in Michigan) skates with sandbags, hockey sticks, etc. while Tessa is
-- Late October - Officially withdraw from Skate Canada but say they'd still like to compete at NHK the end of November. Not really realistic, but whatever.
-- Still not much news coming out of Arctic Edge/Team Shpillband which has lead to speculation that the injury is worse than anyone is letting on. Rumors start to surface about the severity and prognosis of Tessa's injury and throughout the season it's said that this could either be career-ending or that she'd suck it up through Vancouver but she wouldn't be able to skate afterwards.
-- Mid-November - Withdraw from NHK.
-- Early December - Tessa goes back to Michigan and returns to the ice.
-- December 30 - Pink Floyd is "debuted" at an exhibition in Michigan. They do the program in 2 parts as she's not yet able to do a full run-through.
-- January 14-19, 2009 - FINALLY start their season at Canadians. They manage to win their 2nd Canadian championship but it's obvious they haven't had much training. Supposedly their FD in competition was only their 3rd complete run through of the program. Tessa also looks to be in pain after their skates and the stress and tension is clearly apparent in their faces/body language. During practices they don't do very much.
-- After Nationals, Tessa needs a bit of a break to recuperate. The week of competition took it's toll on her legs. There are whispers around the web that they might not be able to compete at Four Continents and supposedly the alternates were put on high alert.
-- February 2-8 2009 - Four Continents, their first real test. Fans were hoping to see great strides in the 2-3 weeks post-Nationals as they'd have time for more run-throughs. Didn't happen. The FD at Four Continents was the 4th complete run-through of the year. They narrowly lose to Davis/White but in hindsight, the fact that they were even there is remarkable. After the skates (like at Nationals) Tessa needs attention from the medical staff and between the FD and medal ceremony the cameras catch a glimpse of a wheelchair being ready in case she needed it. They don't skate in the exhibition, citing her needing to rest her legs. She also has to sit during a lot of their interviews in the mixed-zone during the week.
-- March 23-29 - Worlds

I came up with time line going off a really good blogspot with links to lots of articles + my own recollection. Here's one article that details some of it in a pretty concise summary: Team Canada | Tessa Virtue | Competitive History | Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games | CTV Olympics
This blogspot has TONS of articles: Virtue/Moir