View Single Post
Old 01-16-2003, 10:51 PM
jilliek
Master Fan

Joey Fatone To Appear In 'Big Fat Greek' Sitcom
'NSYNC member has signed on for six episodes of movie spinoff.

by Corey Moss

LOS ANGELES — Joey Fatone's acting résumé will soon have a TV credit next to his big-screen and Broadway roles, as the 'NSYNC singer has agreed to appear in a sitcom based on "My Big Fat Greek Wedding."

"I actually talked to Nia Vardalos, who wrote it and produced it, and she told me she might be doing a TV show," Fatone explained at Monday's American Music Awards. "I was like, 'Let me know. I'm in.' We're taking a break right now with 'NSYNC and going to start writing in September, so I would love to do a couple of episodes."

Fatone and Vardalos, who wrote and starred in the one-woman play the movie is based on, will be joined by almost every actor from the film, except John Corbett, who had already signed on to star in FX's "Lucky."

The show, titled "My Big Fat Greek Life," will debut on CBS on February 24, before moving to its regular time period of 7 p.m. on Sundays.

Vardalos told TV critics last week the sitcom will be "hipper, more modern and less old-world" than the movie.

"Hopefully it will be funnier than the movie," added Fatone, who had a relatively small role in the film.

After "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" opened and slowly became one of the top grossing movies of 2002, Fatone took on a role in "Rent" on Broadway .

This report is from MTV News