View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
kaleidocat
Elite Fan

My least fave list: I'm probably tougher on the 2-parters because they have the time to make something happen. Or because I actually had expectations *cough* Craig episodes *cough* so expect me to give those particular episodes a hard time since I'm a fan of Craig angst.

10. Didn't We Almost Have It All? - This episode best represents why the originals have to go. Hearing Liberty give her little speech about her past made me realize that by this point the show tends to either unintentionally mock the character's past or when I try to mentally summarize a character's history, it strikes me as extremely soapy. Not to place blame just on Lib's episodes...I think from this point on I tend to laugh at the originals who come back because how much more drama can they have? It's not the fault of this episode alone but it's just when I realized that they need to let go.

9. Uptown Girls - I was finally starting to feel Mia as a teen mom and understand her actions...then this episode happened. Do all the characters HAVE to be famous? Why do the writers think this makes them likable and easy to relate to?

8. Total Eclipse of The Heart - Wasn't this that episode where Marco comes out to his dad onstage during a live performance of Hamlet? That was weird. No wait, that was Tell It To My Heart right? Meh, whatever. I can't remember what happened in either episode. That Tim guy was interesting though...I was most interested in his family situation once he came out. More so than Marco's. Marco's coming out storylines outside of Pride have always felt safe. While watching you know he's going to come out on top and just fine. As a result, Marco's episodes feel very anti-climatic.

7. Never Gonna Give You Up - I can't say DDIO because I love the Terri bounce. I love to watch that one youtube video over and over. But this episode? There was a time when I actually stopped watching season 3. I'm not sure what the reason was...was I that much of a Crash/Craig fan and the triangle bugged the crap out of me, was I busy with school, or was it Terri's episodes? I'm just glad they brought Rick back in season 4 because the actor is a talented guy.

6. Lost In Love - No huge reason. Just plain uninterested in the romantic drama. I don't think I have even watched part 1 yet.

5. Relax - While I love to watch the earlier seasons during marathons, this is the one I can do without. There's a lot of filler episodes that are probably worthy of my list but I think this one takes it.

4. Here Comes Your Man - Season 6 alienated a good chunk of the fandom during this season for a variety of reasons. Maybe I'm picking on this one episode but it set the tone for a season filled with relationship drama and didn't focus on the issues. Stephen Stohn even came out and admitted this.

3. Power of Love - More of a filler episode and less of a finale. I think out of all the finales, this one had less of that vibe. The end of school dance helped give it that seasonal closure feeling but it just wasn't memorable to me.

2. Going Down The Road - I agree with MegaJ...it is a good episode. The acting was some of the best out of the entire series. I don't mind re-watching this episode. While I think Kevin Smith's movie should have been more in the background like it was in West End Girls, I wasn't too bothered by it's presence. It existing was silly but still thoughtful.

But I have to point a finger at it because if his appearance didn't happen we wouldn't have had the kids at Degrassi have instant fame. We wouldn't have movie premieres, actresses, musicians, and models. This is the episode that jumped the shark, no question in my mind. From this point on TPTB want to make every character into a star or have celebrity encounters. No doubt because this episode with Kevin Smith. It gave them room to do that. Eff you Kevin Smith. There might have been some snoozers in later season 4 but this is the episode that changed everything for the long term and I hate it for that.

1. What's It Feel Like To Be A Ghost? - I think people like this episode because OMG COCAINE!!! Coke is so go there right? Not here because nothing really addressed Craig's addiction and while his nose bleed kinda sorta makes you feel bad for him, nothing connects you to the character at all. Most people hated him for the episode and I really doubt it did anything to help others deal with substance abuse Which so not Degrassi; it should have had a don't do drugs vibe but also should have tried to be sympathetic towards addiction and let you into their world for a moment. And we don't have a clue why he's using other than he's a rockstar now and, this I'll give the show credit for at least semi-understanding addictive behavior, full of every excuse. We don't see symptoms other than some sniffling and snorting. All we see is another love triangle with too much emphasis on Ellie and Manny and not enough on the issue - CRAIG'S ISSUE. Hands down the worst attempt Degrassi did with substance abuse.

I never watched the b-plot. I was just wondering what Craig was up to, which tends to always leave me disappointed now. Ah well, at least Epstein is hot.

0. Degrassi Goes Hollywood - Utterly ridiculous, full of cliches, and the dramatic moments were laughable. I don't mind cheese but I don't like to choke on it. I don't agree with creating some Disney-esque movie over the angst and issues that Degrassi the series is known for. I didn't feel any sort of emotion for any of the characters involved. I actually almost resent them by this point because the acting out when there is a crisis is so over the top (and out of the element of what the series used to stand for) and at the end of the day they are going to get what they want. Or if they don't achieve that, they've still come a lot farther than average teens could ever dream. I felt that I could predict the whole thing before I had even seen it; I wasn't surprised by any of the plot twists. And the pacing was so off...the climax happened in the last ten minutes and left me going what just happened here? Was there a point? Was there a resolution? Stick with 30 minutes, Degrassi. And lay off the fluff and Hollywood boulevard dreams that happen in a snap for what was supposed to be regular teens

The perk is that alot of this is forgettable and most likely won't ever be referenced again other than Cassie Manny is back from LA. WHAT A SEND OFF...for a handful of our fave originals.