View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

Not to over-analyze Amy's daydream when it's really more about being a fake out, but why are her parents and grandparents there in her daydream? Heh. Even weirder? That she imagines Andy and Ephram playing ping pong of all things! Does she not know Ephram? Anyone not sure that this is a fake out should have seen it coming the second the ping pong table made its debut.

All the parallels to "The Pilot" and "The Great Doctor Brown" are so awesome. Amy being the last one to leave at Colin's funeral, just as Ephram was the last to leave at Julia's. Andy's office being empty, and him being the outcast once again, Andy remembering conversations from the past, Amy being talked to by a vision of Colin, Andy walking with Delia while the whole town looks on and Ephram choosing to go with him. I like parallels.

I like that what seems to be another of Ephram's bratty arguments blaming Andy for something he has no control over actually turns into Ephram caring about Andy and being worried about him with his, "Why are you doing this to yourself?" It really shows how far Ephram has come. In the early episodes of S1, Andy is MUCH worse than he is here in this episode, and Ephram is grieving and blaming Andy too much to notice. He notices here and he tries to snap Andy out of it, and it's really sweet.

As much as I sympathize with Andy in this one, I cannot believe that he comes late to Colin's memorial service. I know it's for dramatic effect and all, but, there is no way he would let that happen. No way. That's too assy of a thing even for Andy Brown to do.

I really love that Ephram defends his father (in his own way, of course) to Amy, calling him a good man. I think Ephram would do that even in the early episodes of S1, but the difference is that now he knows that Andy is a good man.

Tour de force episode for Treat. That memorial speech alone was worthy of an Emmy. Emily is amazing too. How she switches from being down while talking to Ephram to excitement and joy when she sees DeadColin by the pool? Great stuff.

Agreed about the editing of the beginning. I was so bloody pissed off when the fake out happened. Not because Colin was dead, but because I felt it was so gimmicky and kind of cruel. I still do, but it's at least an effective cruel gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief
The Harts. Ugh. On the one hand, the pain they're going through would have to be tremendous, and I'm not going to criticize (fictional) people for having difficulty coping through the grief. But at the same time, the way Mrs. Hart just seems to dump the responsibility for Colin's memorial on Amy is kind of awful. To me, at least.
No, it's pretty awful, I agree. Not to say that I wouldn't be doing the exact same thing in her shoes, but it's just so awful knowing what Amy's going through and that Mrs. Hart is doing too much grieving to realize that Amy is going through the exact same thing she is. I think that little moment where Amy asks Laynie if she wants to help says so much. Amy doesn't want to be doing this, but if she doesn't, who else is going to do it? Tough situation to put an emotionally distraught teenage girl in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn
One reason this show is so much more than it seems - Amy's reaction to finding the DNR letter and all it implied, and Harold allowing her to go off on Andy in a public place without repremanding her. My initial reaction to that is "WTH? How dare you let your daughter act like that in public without even so much as trying to shut her up!" But then later when he's speaking about it to Rose, we realize that Harold is worried that Amy is bottling everything up inside and the outward expression of grief - while embarrassing for everyone involved - will ultimately do her more good than harm. The layers to this show just blow me away.
Yeah, absolutely agreed. He just holds her and watches her go off on Andy. I like his "sorry" after Amy walks away, because he really does feel bad for Andy, he knows that Andy is not really to blame and doesn't deserve this at all. But it's not about Andy, even though he's letting him suffer. It's about his daughter, and trying to avoid her getting to the state that she does ultimately get to.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood