View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 11:07 AM
UnsilentMajorty
Obsessed Fan

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I *finally* saw this movie... Eight years after it was released.

I think it is one of the best "meaning of life" movies that mainstream Hollywood has produced in a long time. Much more sincere and heart-felt than say, "Forrest Gump" and similar films in my opinion.

I also think that I enjoyed this film more since when it came out I was 22, 23 and now I am 31 and the film just has a lot more meaning and wisdom to it since I, myslelf, have more "meaning" and wisdom to my life as well.

No. This is not a kids movie, nor a teeny-bopper movie, despite Brad Pitt. It is an adult movie about adult themes (death; regret; love; loss; acceptance)... But it is also not preachy like similar movies in the genre as well.

My favorite parts are in the beginning when Anthony Hopkins is talking to Claire Forlani in the helicopter about living life and love (the quote that one of you already stated).

The second is, of course, the end. Some will say it is very sappy and predictable that they "gave" the guy who Susan met at th coffee shop back to her at the end... But what do you want to happen? Her story not be wrapped up and she go through life not having "lived" (aka loved) like her father said?

However, the best part is that one of the message/themes that the end touches on is that it is important to love, but it has no meaning unless one is loved in return and I think that is a great angle for this film to address because love is often treated as a "one-sided" thing in fiction a lot of times (even though two people supposedly love each other).

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts.

Now this thread can rest in peace like William Parrish and have no regrets that the film is rightfully deserving of all the praise it deserves... Because I was weary when all I heard was that it was in fact a good movie; I am very jaded when it comes to third party reviews and was pleasantly surprised.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote