View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 10:28 AM
ROCKSTAR
Elite Fan

Darn... Looks like you guys had an intense discussion for a while...I love it!

Anyway. I saw the movie last night on DVD. Hm... I didn't watch it before because I was upset the gods had been taken out of the film, but I finally decided Brad Pitt as Achilles HAD to be seen regardless.

Good movie, VERY confusing... Unless you've read the book or taken a few classes on the thing (which I have, to major frustration). I remember the first thing the Prof. told was "nobody really knows if Homer actually existed, but the Illiad is credit to him so that's how we'll take it".

I love Greek mythology because it's raw, it's extreme, it's tragic and supernatural, etc. But the movie focused on the human/psychological elements that don't necessarily need Hector and Achilles to push it forward, any two heroes could've been there after the story was stripped of its essence.

But as a movie, WOW!!!! Hello, beautiful! That scenery was gorgeous, the actors looked the part, the intensity was palpable in some very dramatic scenes. It was a joy to watch it...if you don't consider the whole Illiad thing.

---

My favorite scene was Paris kneeling at Hector's feet running from his own death, taking refuge in his brother's protective shadow. My heart was CRUNCHED!!! That look on Orlando's face was kille, didn't know the kid had that in him. And Eric Bana, do I need to say how amazing he was.... Especially in that scene!

Achilles was phenomenal, Brad Pitt was criticized for his portrayal but I applaud it. It was brooding, arrogant and conflicted...which Roger Ebert found unnecessary, but I say it was dramatic in a way heroes these days need to be until (another) modern precedent is established for absolutely cold hearted anti-heroes.

But for now, I'll take conflicted, even in such small doses.