View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

I was just coming here to say that this is not a good episode in the least. LOL. Agree with your thoughts entirely, Tos. I rather watch Colin beating up Bright and Ephram over viewing this episode and I hated watching him go insane on them so that tells you what I think of this episode.

Like you said, nothing saves this episode, not even Harold which is rare because Harold lights up all the other episodes in one way or another. The writing was terrible, the storylines were boring and ridiculous. What is weird is how every other season 1 episode is so dynamic... then you have this one and because it is so bad it sticks out all the more given that it is surrounded by such perfection. I don't know if the writing team wanted to deliberately put a flaw into season 1 so they came up with this episode or what the deal was. LOL.

Ephram also bothered me throughout the entire episode, his behavior towards both Laynie and Andy are not fun to watch and you make outstanding points about how Andy was not unreasonable. In fact maybe that was one point they wanted to make in this episode? I will reach and go for it... maybe they wanted to show a pattern where Andy tries to exert proper influence on his son, like in this episode and his instinct NOT to allow the babysitter and Ephram to date and then we get a pregnant Madison at the end of season 2. Maybe showing that if Ephram would have listened to his father more he might not have made some very life altering mistakes in the near future? Eh I'm probably giving this episode too much credit since that's probably not the situation but I thought I'd take a shot. LOL.

The biggest thing to come out of this episode IMO is the following dialogue:

Quote:
LAYNIE: He could be a pro.

EPHRAM: I am a pro.

LAYNIE: I'm having a good time, Ephram. [beat] I just, I don't know. Yet the other day when I saw Amy, I thought you maybe liked her or something.

EPHRAM: Oh, Amy and I? Oh no. We're totally just friends. I mean, we hung out a bit. But we talked about your brother a lot. It was all Colin all the time. I tried to get her to diversify but no luck.

LAYNIE: It's so ironic.

EPHRAM: What's that?

LAYNIE: Her being so devoted to him when he was going to break up with her.

[Laynie looks to see Ephram's reaction.]

EPHRAM: Wh-What are you talking about?

LAYNIE: Well, I mean, he was thinking about it at least. He told me a few days before the accident. He liked her but not as much as she liked him.

EPHRAM: Did you tell Colin that when he came home?

LAYNIE: Well, I didn't have the heart. Now I don't have to. He's fallen in love with her. And this time, it's pretty equal.

EPHRAM: So Amy has no idea?

LAYNIE: Well, no.

EPHRAM: None?

LAYNIE: No.

EPHRAM: You cannot tell her. You cannot tell her.

LAYNIE: Why would I tell her? I'm not an idiot.

EPHRAM: Well, I, I didn't mean it like that. I just...

LAYNIE: I know what you meant.

[Silence. Ephram puts his hand to his forehead like he can't believe he just did what he did.]

Finding this out about Colin breaking up with her before the accident was very interesting. I think it further promoted Amy's fantasy about her and Colin thinking they were this big thing when they really were not. They were a childhood romance that was destined to end sooner or later. The accident, IMO, prolonged the inevitable and of course there was his unfortunate death but I really think this bit of news was to show that Amy's dedication to Colin, while noble, did not necessarily stack up to what the true reality of their relationship was pre-accident. It can be debated as to what Amy/Colin developed after the accident and before his death... was it real? Or was it based on a lie because of what we found out in this very episode regarding Colin having plans to break up with her?

Last edited by jediwands; 08-27-2009 at 11:55 AM