View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 06:56 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

With a coma patient coming home, the ethics and politics of pot, and medicating children, this episode COULD come off as one big ol' Issue of the Week type episode. I don't think it does. The pot storyline is hilarious, and then ultimately handled very well at the end. The Ritalin story is admittedly a little preachy, especially Andy rattling off stats at the beginning, but is more about Sam missing his father and Andy and Nina interacting than anything. And Colin is all about Amy and Ephram. And leads to, what is for me, one of their more memorable scenes together. I'm not going to get too into it because I'm sure everyone's heard it from me, hee: Ephram as so confident, sure of himself, and right, walking away from Amy at her most vulnerable and leaving her in awe while she looks at him and thinks about him is such a great role reversal.

HAROLD! He has about a million quotable lines in this one, hee. One after another after another. And then the big comedian of the episode turns out to have the great scene at the end and it's all just very awesome. And very Harold. And it's fun to see him in his element, like he is in the town hall with all of the local yokels that he complains about all the time. He has them in the pal of his hands until the poor older guy stands up.

Does Mike Erwin do an amazing job in this one or what? With the Previouslies, you really do get a sense of how great his acting in here. From that cocky, charming teenager, to the blank stares, the slowness, and the absolute frustration in the scene with Bright. Emily also does an incredible acting job too. Even though she sets herself up to have her hopes dashed, she's still sympathetic. And the end of the episode, where she introduces herself? That's the Amy we all want her to be. Chris Pratt and his sad look is great with Colin too. Can't forget Andy when he's telling the Ephram story. Basically: this episode is an acting bonanza!

"That kid just wears me out!" is probably my favourite Delia line, hee.

Twelve episodes in and Sam is already behind the wheel. Foreshadowing of the S2 car crash? Or simply a coincidence? Okay, yeah, coincidence, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by jediwands; 03-28-2021 at 05:49 AM
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote