View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 04:46 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

This was the first episode that I ever saw, so while it's not my favourite (although it is good), it will probably always hold a special place for me.

Only Everwood S1 could get away with the opening that this episode has. Hee. It's cheesy, but it does work. Still, even with all the fairy-tale magic this one has, it also has one of the most incredibly real scenes in the series: Andy's"The best thing that happened to me this year... is that I met my son." That has to be one of my favourite S1 Andy/Ephram moments. Even Ephram looks shocked, and the smile on Andy's face...AH! It really reminds me of the scene in "Goodbye, Love" where Andy tells his father that he loves him. Andy just says what he wants to say, and he doesn't hold back, and Eugene is taken aback by it, and Ephram is here too.

An episode like this really makes me wish that we saw more of Delia and Ephram bonding. They do it SO well, and we see it so rarely. Maybe it's more special because we don't get to see them like this all that often in the whole series? Aw, and Delia and Nina! Remember when they used to actually...you know, interact at all? Hee. I miss those two together. Another reason why I desperately wanted another season. There would be no choice but putting a bunch of Nina/Delia scenes in again in S5 with them living under the same roof.

I like how so much of this episode is about Delia. That doesn't happen often. And of course it's back to her connection with Julia, which always breaks my heart. No matter how rebellious Delia gets, Julia is always her constant.

Harold's story is just pure hilarity. Tom is genius all episode. All of his comments toward "Andy" at the funeral (I don't know how everyone kept a straight face when he was calling Andy a horse's ass), his conversation with Rose after it (Harold: Would you say I'm popular? In Everwood? Rose: I love you, Harold. Hee!), throwing everyone out of the house and finally, putting on his napkin again and saying, "More pie?" with a satisfied grin. Love it! And the Harold/Edna scene is fantastic stuff too.

Thanks for the thoughts, you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
I have always really loved this episode. Witnessing season 1 of EW as it originally aired was something special, and this episode captured that a lot for me. Season 1 had a sort of whimsy to it, that it didn't quite have in the other seasons. I haven't heard too much love for this particular ep, but the moment I watched it, I loved it....a lot.
I think it gets knocked on for some of the cheese, and I think the Daniel story is a little silly and rushed, but the Andy/Ephram, Delia/Ephram, Nina/Delia, Harold storylines are all amazing stuff. I think those moments do sadly get overlooked at times because of some of the cheesier moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiT89
The intro music to this episode (daniel's story) always creeped/cheezy'd me out. Fair trade though; quality story for cheesy music, i can live with that.
Hee, agreed. That choral kind of music is just a little over the top!

Quote:
Ephram's acting is too good, particularly the way he portrays a kid hopelessly in love. It's too good and I'm sure all dudes can relate to that feeling.
My favourite acting choice of his in this episode is that smile he gives after Amy invites herself to help cook with him. He's in loooove!

Ephram made a mix-tape for Andy's surgery on Colin in "We Hold These Truths", so I think it's just something he likes doing and an example of him being musical. Other than that, it's just an excuse to get that great song going for the final few minutes!

Quote:
I'm loving Dr. Abott's quirky side stories. At first, he seemed like just another sub plot but each rewatch of his adventures makes me realize that he's more that: whether it's a father's sudden ploy to be remember or opening up a bagel shop (mid life crisis), Dr. A represents what it is to be a family man while dealing with his own issues. But above all, Dr. A shows us that even the normal family man has those valuable life experiences.
Well said. He shows us that there's a lot to experience and enjoy in an ordinary life.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood