View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:36 PM
ChibiT89
New Fan

This is TH with his 1st review so check me out:

S1 ep 11:

The intro music to this episode (daniel's story) always creeped/cheezy'd me out. Fair trade though; quality story for cheesy music, i can live with that.

In season 1, Berlanti went with these fantasy sequences. I'm not a big fan of them but they are a funny quirk for season 1. I'm glad he left it there and it's funny to look back and see the direction of the show and its roots.

as far as Daniel's story, i'm always surprised at the end result and how it's a foil off of Dr. Brown's loss. I never see that coming, I just see a crazy old dude and a bear who Dr. Brown cures. However, instead of turning crazy, Dr. B realized in order to be the man his wife wanted him to be, he needed to honor her memory by being a better father.

Ephram's acting is too good, particularly the way he portrays a kid hopelessly in love. It's too good and I'm sure all dudes can relate to that feeling.
- what's the significance of the mix cd, if any? I skipped to this episode so I could review it in time.

But yeah, "A Thanksgiving Tale" is more about the Brown's 1st thanksgiving without Julia. Its endearing how Ephram desperately attempts to save this thanksgiving but ultimately fails in the process. Its a big gesture and it's sad how it doesn't turn out as expected. However, Nina shines as she takes command and comforts Delia.
- I wonder if Greg Berlanti knew this whole time that he wanted Nina to be a motherly figure for the Browns?

Other than that, it's typical Season 1 Dr. Brown - naive in the fact that Thanksgiving should be ordered in and its remarkable to note his growth from this naive leader to a loving father figure in Season 4.

I'm loving Dr. Abott's quirky side stories. At first, he seemed like just another sub plot but each rewatch of his adventures makes me realize that he's more that: whether it's a father's sudden ploy to be remember or opening up a bagel shop (mid life crisis), Dr. A represents what it is to be a family man while dealing with his own issues. But above all, Dr. A shows us that even the normal family man has those valuable life experiences.

I can't help but laugh at his strict/uptight behavior interacting on an episode basis... he's one of my favorite characters. Plus you learn a new word every episode!

Lastly, closing on Irv's storytelling is a great way to end. A tale of two kings, too good. You don't expect this episode to give any themes/meanings but they're there and make the cast shine.

-TH

Last edited by ChibiT89; 07-12-2009 at 02:44 PM