View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Jaycee
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D
The thing that I found most insulting, then and now, was that Dawson was the “safe” choice for Joey, and that Pacey made her “come alive,” and I also didn’t like the calculated way that Pacey “got to Joey” in this episode. People later complained about how calculating Dawson was by staging the “Anti-Prom” to get to Joey, but Pacey was every bit as calculating in this episode in my humble opinion, but as always, the incredible double standard that has always applied towards any of Dawson’s actions versus any of Pacey’s actions applied here. Looking back, I feel certain that this episode ruined the idea of a Pacey and Joey pairing for me and a lot of other D/Jers, and I think that it was one of the key episodes that polarized the fan base into two “armed camps” hurling insults at one another and on the “other couple.” Here’s what I wrote about that episode when it aired:
Oh Jerry! jerry, you must have known I wouldn't be able to leave this one alone!

I didn't realise you still felt that way about it! There must still be a bit of the D/Jer in you, eh?

If you wrote a post entitled 'why blame Pacey?' then why should Stolen Kisses have changed that? Was it really that much of a crime that Pacey went on this trip with his friends, that he had been invited to, even though secretly in his heart it was so he could be near the girl he loved? So what if he went mainly because Joey would be there? He never acted on what he felt! I remember arguing this over and over every time this subject came up. Dawson actively pursued Joey in Show Me Love and The Anti Prom to the extreme, without regard for Joey's clearly expressed wishes, without regard for her or Pacey's feelings. Pacey went to Aunt Gwen's so he could breathe the same air as her. That's all. He was in love! He didn't go to actively pursue her. There was no elaborate plot, no premeditated scheme! Unlike Dawson. So you really need to take back that 'calculated' potshot you took. It wasn't calculated. How could it be when it was made obvious that Pacey had originally turned down the invitation? That he wasn't going to go until Will turned up?

You don't specify exactly how you thought Pacey managed to 'get to' Joey so I can only speculate.
So what did he do to 'get to' her? Do you really believe that he deliberately left the room while D/J were singing because he knew Joey would follow him? How did he force Joey to say he made her feel alive? Did he do voodoo on her to make her come out looking for him before their final kiss of the ep? What?
It's Joey who, 9 times out of 10, makes the first move. He didn't expect or ask her to follow him out. He didn't expect her to call him back by saying she felt alive. She was the one who went looking for him before the final kiss. Every move Joey made, she made of her own volition because she had feelings for him too! Not because he manipulated her into them but because she wanted to act on her feelings, she wanted to be with him too!

He did tell Joey how he felt and he asked her how she felt and this was after the '10' kiss - a kiss Joey was obviously ready and waiting for - so now they did need to discuss what was going to happen next. If Joey had put an end to it there and then Pacey would have respected her wishes. You can bet Dawson wouldn't have and we got proof of that over the next 3 eps!

The differences between Pacey's behaviour and Dawson's behaviour are so glaringly obvious that it astounds me that Pacey is accused of being calculating and just as bad as Dawson! In this instance, there was no double standard. The two situations were just not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwater1010
And while there can never be too much Pacey in a wifebeater - I thought he looked pretty hot this episode- the whole sleeping arrangements was just poor contrivance. I mean three sleeping bags, one double bed, three guys and two girls.
Oh yes, I agree, completely contrived. Andie would have shared the bed with Joey, but I loved this contrivance! Hee!