View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 AM
eragon194
Master Fan

Here I was thinking that it was ironic that Richard took Ben inside a "temple" so that he could "lose his innocence". But how deep and moving was the irony that the same man about whom once Richard said "all his innocence will be gone" is influenced into doing good deeds because his heart is moved by the innocence that is found in children, the same innocence that he supposedly lost at the age of 14? This was ironic storytelling at it's best and I admit that I am a sucker for it. It also makes me wonder if Richard did something so that Ben wouldn't lose his innocence.

Best episode of the season for me. Steeped in mythology, void of the extremely annoying romance story of this show, John Locke being sure of himself for once, instead of being pathetically unsure, Caesar getting killed off, no Dharma folks, it couldn't get any better. But most of all, the slightly explanatory tone of Ben's story in this episode was most satisfying. Ben is a character that is deeply part of the show and he is shown to be extremely cold-hearted most of the times. So with most viewers it doesn't sit well when such a character is allowed to run scott-free without fear of retribution. In this episode however, we saw an explanation of certain actions of his and in a very different light.
For example, now we know that Ben wasn't the one who ordered the Purge. Charles was the leader at that time and he ordered that genocide. Infact, the only person Ben killed in that genocide was his father. And I have no doubt that it was Ben's idea to save Ethan.