View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Aquillea
Part-Time Fan

Hmmm...

Interesting theory, Wilpen. I prefer batterer to vengeance because it seems more realistic... the dirty little secrets people keep kind of thing. Thus it would fit into themes like Irma's secret pothouse, the off-hours abortion procedures, sending the pregnant girlfriend away, the jock's sexual preferences. I don't think the show has tackled spousal abuse or the like yet, has it? And I think Nina wouldn't be a bad choice for such a storyline because she can be fiesty so you'd never think she could get involved in a relationship like that... yet how many times do people say just that when such revelations are made? Although on the one hand I wouldn't like it because the poor girl has already been married to a gay guy - I could also see it on the level where, afterwards, she starts questioning if she's attracted to men with dark secrets like a moth to a flame. Whether there's something wrong with *her*. We know she wondered that when her hubby showed less and less interest in being with her.

In contrast, in real life, how many people move to a town because they have secret vendettas?

On the other hand, given that one of the appealing things about this show is that it will show more than one side to an issue... if Jake *were* to turn out to be an abuser, I really *would* like them to delve into how he probably got to be that way because of abuse he suffered or witnessed. But the wolf in sheep's clothing comment seems more ainister than an even-handed treatment of this subject matter would be. It *does* sound more vendetta-like.

Jake's knowledge of the Abbotts and Browns *could* fit into an abuser stroyline tho'. Don't abusers have control issues? Jake may have chosen Everwood because the story on Dr. Brown made it a high-profile place to retreat to. The story included Amy and perhaps it was mentioned she was the daughter of a local family physician. As someone with control issues, Jake may then have done research on the doctors who alrey called Everwood home. {shrug}

:-)
I should stop. I should have learned my lesson after all the grand speculation I did at the end of Season 3 (I think) of Angel. God, if only the reality of Season 4 had come even remotely close to the speculation. {sigh} It hardly ever actually does, does it? {smirk}

Aquillea