View Single Post
Old 01-19-2005, 04:30 AM
MAKRO
Part-Time Fan

Love these lively discussions!
What the heck, I'll jump in and stir the pot again.
I'm not saying it was atypical of Amy, who has always been something of a drama queen, but if I were Ephram I would secretly (not aloud, dummy) consider Amy's almost-tearful statement that, if their relationship ended, he would have everything and she would have nothing as melodramatic nonsense.
First of all, Ephram is hardly guaranteed a career as a pianist. Leaving the unknown (to them) Madisongate disaster out of it, what if he doesn't make it into a conservatory? What if he develops Carpal Tunnel, or hurts his hands and can't play, or teach, at all? Having concentrated strictly on the piano for so long, without developing any other career interests, he has put all of his eggs in one basket. That is hardly "having everything".
As for Amy having "nothing" if they crash and burn? The intensity of her statement "I'll have nothing", (as opposed to "I've missed out on....") infers she is talking about things related to career potential, college acceptance, or at the very least the pursuance of a life-long hobby, not just missing out on some after school fun. So, what in these areas has she actually "sacrificed" on the altar of her relationship?
She applied to eight schools each world famous for their academic and/or arts programs. Having to "settle" for any of them in lieu of Princeton would not exactly be having nothing. And she certainly didn't express any fear that a lack of senior year extra-curriculars would hurt her chances for acceptance (a lack of junior year extras is another matter, but she can't blame that on her relationship).
Before the sudden revelation about her sacrifices, she didn't seem concerned that a lack of one year of newspaper or yearbook in high school would keep her from taking journalism at Columbia. Wouldn't a journalism degree from Columbia pretty much guarantee someone a career in the field? So, did she "sacrifice" a potential journalism career for her relationship? I don't think so. Nor do I think she sacrificed any potential future in foreign service by electing not to participate in Youth Government, or whatever it was. No, what she "sacrificed" in these instances was some senior year fun. Not insigificant, and I'm sad for her for missing it, but hardly worthy of an "I'll have nothing" statement. In fact, as a high school girl in love, it seems time restrictions on her social life with her partner would have more of an emotional impact than missing some debate on the two party system.
That leaves dance. I appreciate her passion for dance, and I hope she returns to the enjoyment of it, but does she actually see ballet as a potential career? The trailer for next week's episode would indicate she does. But on what grounds? If she had the passion, drive, courage, and talent to be a professional ballerina, she wouldn't be at Peak County High at all. As the child of a doting, and financially comfortable, family she would be firmly ensconced in a professional prep school (and probably would have been for several years), just like Emily was in real life; starting at age twelve. Does she really think approximately two years in a high school program conducted by the town flake takes the place of years of professional training? And how good was she even in the high school program? By the time of Colin's (first) surgery, she had never had a solo performance. I don't immediately recall her pursuing dance again until after she broke up with Tommy, and I don't remember her being featured in any recitals after that (admittedly, my Season 2 knowledge is limited). If she fails to make it as a professional, is that really the result of "sacrificing" one year in a high school program in favor of her relationship? I don't see it. In fact, if she were to continue to believe that, Ephram should conclude she is a whacko and dump her. I hope she continues to pursue dance on the college level, or just as an important hobby. But I don't see where she has "sacrificed" any career potential.
What Amy has "sacrificed" for her relationship is some senior year fun, and maybe a bit of sleep. And on a more ethereal level, maybe a feeling of equality with Ephram. If she believes otherwise, she is deluding herself. Although to Amy her perception of what she sacrificed is more important than what logic says she did (or didn't). But I would have trouble buying that if I were Ephram.
And does anyone else find it interesting that when she said "I'll have nothing", she wasn't referring to not having him? Ephram very poignantly refuted her statement that he would have everything by saying he wouldn't have her. But she was more concerned with having something to fall back on. I would have liked to see her list him among the things she wouldn't have.
The trailer for next week seems to indicate (remembering that spoilers to not always reflect accurately) that Amy will be unsuccessful in entering the professional dance program. If this happens, will she believe it is a result of her "sacrifice"? I hope not. I hope it would serve to steer her in another direction, one she wouldn't have to "sacrifice" to be with Ephram. If this happens, I believe these two will make it.

Last edited by MAKRO; 01-19-2005 at 04:42 AM