View Single Post
Old 01-18-2005, 05:52 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

MAKRO, as per usual, your posts are outstanding and you make excellent points. I do see what you are saying, however, for whatever reason, I feel like Amy's actions were still mostly fueled by the lie. It does baffle me as to why it took her over a month to let out her anger, let alone, do so, at a family dinner. I think that she was pissed at Bright for inviting Ephram and setting up this obvious E/A "meeting" without her prior knowledge, and it was at this time that she decided to let loose and get out her anger. I think it ticked her off that Ephram was acting like everything was peachy at dinner and that angered her even more. I'll admit, my heart ached for Ephram at the dinner table, as well as the entire episode, as it was so blatently obvious what pure panic this guy was in while even remotely thinking about the possibility of Amy breaking up with him. But, I feel like the more Ephram tried to act like everything was "okay," as he was nervous about the possibility of breaking up, the more Amy was turned off at trying to discuss things with him. I think Ephram would have been better suited with being frank and telling Amy just how much he loves her, that he has absolutely no romantic feelings for Madison anymore, does not want to get back together with her, and ONLY wants to be with Amy. He never really said these things as he figured that the acting normal bit seemed like the better option. I think he should have definitely told her the above things and reassured her of everything instead of going the normalcy route as it certainly seemed to only enrage Amy further. I think if he would have maybe confronted the lie in a more agressive way, then Amy would have opened up more about everything else that was on her mind.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, the minute her unreasonable resentment towards Ephram for the sacrifices she felt she had made for their relationship became part of the equation (which I'm guessing would have come immediately upon receiving the shock of finding out he had lied, especially about Madison), her allowing him to twist in the wind for so long believing it was all about the lie was an act of dishonesty arguably on the level with his deception.
You make an excellent point, but I'm still not too sure exactly when it was that Amy started to become of aware of the sacrifices issue. It very well could have been like you said.. right away. However, in her conversations with Hannah, all it seemed like was the LIE was the big thing that she was so pissed off about first and foremost. Remember how she told Hannah at school that the thought of Ephram going to see Madison made her want to punch him? Obviously, it seems as if the lie was the front and center thing, at least in her conversations with Hannah.

Quote:
To tell him she accepted his apology and then give him the cold shoulder for weeks without bringing up the additonal factors in her behavior was unfair.
Totally concur. I will always be puzzled as to why it took her so long to come around, and why she even accepted his apology in the first place, if it still bothered the hell out of her, let alone, there also being other factors added into the equation that resulted in her chilly behavior. But then again, if you listen to what Bright said, Amy is famous for holding grudges and that's the way she ticks. Good or bad, Bright did point out that it was in Amy's nature to do so.

Quote:
Withholding love is just as damaging to a relationship as dishonesty.
So true. It was killing Ephram inside to see Amy reject him. That part really did make me want to shake Amy and tell her to open up to him with her thoughts and feelings. I am really glad that she finally did so. Better late then never, I suppose.

Quote:
The fact that she didn't makes me fearful that she will prove incapable of being in love and recovering her outside life at the same time.
See, for whatever reason, I have a different take on this. I almost think that even though she didn't initiate any intimacy, at this moment, doesn't mean she is incapable of doing so in the future. Even though it did tick me off that they didn't share a kiss or two after they essentially worked things out, I guess I do chalk it up to it still being a bit premature, considering they just got through a tough moment in their relationship. But, I do have optimism that because of their talk and working things out, I believe that there will be a lot more balance in their relationship, now that Ephram is going to loosen up his schedule more in order for Amy to work on some things of her own. I was actually very happy to see that Ephram was willing to make some adjustments to his schedule for Amy. Because at the beginning of their relationship, it really was Amy adjusting for Ephram. Amy followed him to NYC, Amy gave him time and space at the beginning until he figured out if he even had time for her, and she also completely adjusted her schedule to suit his piano schedule. I was glad to see that there will now be some balance here. I do believe that Amy is right on that if they break up, Ephram still has everything and she would have nothing, and that scared the hell out of her. I don't see it as Amy lessening the importance of her relationship with Ephram now that she wants to concentrate on some of her interests. I actually look at this new balance as a demonstration of a very mature and healthy relationship. In fact, I see it as one of the most mature young love relationships on tv.

Call me naive, but I do look at this new change in the E/A relationship as a good thing for the both of them. I also see Princetongate as not being that big of a bomb now because I do think that Amy will see this as more of a loving thing Ephram did for her now that she even admitted that she initially didn't see what Ephram was trying to tell her during the application time about the "what if's." So, if anything, I feel less nervous about Princetongate.

I do think you bring up some excellent points, MAKRO, and while I am cutting Amy more of a break than you are, I certainly see what you are saying. Like I said, call me naive, but I do have more optimism in their relationship after last night's episode. I don't look at it as Amy potentially pulling away from their relationship. Quite the opposite, actually. I also think that once Madisongate occurs, now that they will be on a "more balanced" field, they will be stronger than ever and able to withstand the bomb in a much better way.

Last edited by jediwands; 01-18-2005 at 09:01 PM