View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Abomasum
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Leo, You originally asked this question. So, if you're around....what do you think? Should Ephram give the necklace back to Amy?
Hee... I thought I could escape this... I've been proud enough that I found a discussion topic... now I'm supposed to even have an opinion? Okay...

I'm still hesitant to make a decision, because, for one, I've never really thought about this, rationally, that is, whether or not I wanted for him to return it to her. Of course there is the strong point that the necklace will make the terrible time when Ephram left Amy present in her mind and his mind, of course, too. Obviously, it could be hurtful for her if he gave it back to her, she might see it as a lousy attempt to make it undone and of course she might be hurt all over again just remembering. So if he gave it back to her, he'd have to do it in a special way, with many words and in romantic fireworks of sorts, so to make clear that he's not giving it back to her to delete that chapter from their lives but rather to explain it and to say sorry. And one could look at it this way, too. The necklace doesn't just remind them of the worst time they've been through, it could also stand for the fact that not even all of that could break them. And the fact that it didn't break them could easily be taken as a sign for that they truly are forever. That way, the ring would stand as a prove for that, for forever. She gave it to him, because their forever appeared to be over, in returning to her, the ring would prove this conclusion wrong, as a statement that forever is still as possible as before. And then it would be indeed the sweetest love-declaration.
So I believe I'd like it if he gave it back to her in a way that declares his love all over again, also, though, because I wouldn't have liked to see this chapter just being hushed-up and never mentioned again, because things were left unsaid and there hasn't been an apology that would make this all right, it would stand between them somehow. Also I really thought it was so cute how Amy would always wear it when it still meant forever and really, just forever.

As to the question how he could give it to her, I've always had this little phantasy that he'd give her the ring as a promise - and an apology, of course, but mainly a promise in which he states that she should have the ring necklace while she's waiting for another ring that would make forever official, telling her that way, that he believes in forever so unshakably that he already knows that he will marry her when the time has come...

But I like 'Tos idea even better.

Last edited by Abomasum; 02-22-2009 at 01:12 PM