View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 02:43 PM
lancer1993
Fan Forum Hero

Luke and Lorelai but I know it can't be just a story about them and with Rory off working out of town having a "Rory returns" special at some point just makes sense. Now whether its a wedding or some other even I don't know. Maybe she's become a drug addicted poll dance and is in rehab back in Stars Hollow

I thought I'd post this NEW interview here since it has a bit about Lauren's future and a GG movie.
ETA - Exclusive Q&A: Lauren Graham on Broadway, 'Gilmore' movie, and her big TV comeback | Lauren Graham | Ausiello Files | EW.com
Quote:
Lauren_l1 Gilmore Girls fans missing their weekly dose of Lauren Graham are in luck: Beginning next month, you'll be able to see her eight times a week -- and in person, to boot! As you may have heard, the tube superstar will make her Broadway debut as '30s nightclub singer Miss Adelaide in a revival of Guys & Dolls on March 1 (previews begin Feb. 4; click here to buy tix). To mark this momentous occasion, my longtime BFF and onetime co-star kindly agreed to lift the restraining order long enough for me to grill her about her vocal experience (she has some!), her forthcoming ABC comedy (it's not Men in Trees 2.0!), and a possible return to Stars Hollow (keep hope alive!).

AUSIELLO: So, Broadway... Are you excited?
LAUREN GRAHAM: It is really exciting. And honestly, there's not a day that I go to work and don't feel it. There are so many things you hope will feel like something -- in showbiz, especially. And this does.

Why now?
Nothing's really linear. There's no big plan. [Guys & Dolls] actually came up a long time ago, and I wasn't all that familiar with it. I started working on it, just as a project, and I really loved it. And when it finally came together I was ready to do it. It wasn't like I was looking for a Broadway show, and this thing came along.

How's the singing coming? I think the only time I've heard you sing was in an episode of Gilmore Girls.
Yes, but Lorelai was drunk! People keep saying that to me and I'm like, "Don't gauge my singing ability by Lorelai singing drunk in the seventh season. That wasn't my Broadway debut." [Laughs] It's hard to talk about. I auditioned. I've been training as a singer for a long time. I did musicals in high school and college. I did summer stock. I got my equity card before any of my other unions -- I thought I was on that path. But I stopped for a while. Also, this is not a legit soprano part; I can't sing that music. But this is something I'm enjoying doing. I really connect with this character. I really like her. I feel comfortable in this medium. I feel happy to be here. It's been a challenge, but I'm really enjoying it.

What has been the most challenging aspect?
It's physical in a different way. I was used to doing 14-hour days on Gilmore Girls, but this is a different concentration. And we're emphasizing the burlesque aspect; it's less '50s supper club. So that's been a challenge. [Adopting a British accent] I haven't performed a strip act in any of my work previously.

What's it been like working with Oliver Platt?
I love him so much. I feel like I've got the perfect acting partner for this job. He's the most loving, funny, smart man. We're having a great time. And I think we have good chemistry.

Are you prepared for the amount of Gilmore Girls merchandise you're going to have to autograph outside the stage door after each show?
[Laughs] I am. I'm prepared.

Anything you would prefer not to sign? Now's your chance to veto it.
The things that I find offensive are pictures of me from the late 90s, wearing tailored suit jackets and bad hair. Just on principal I'll be like, "I look too bad in that picture; I don't want to sign it."

Speaking of Gilmore Girls…
Mike, Gilmore Girls is over. [Laughs] You've got to move on.

Let's just talk about the movie rumors...
What are you talking about! Mike, you start those rumors. You start these rumors just like you started the Wonder Woman movie rumor and then you call me and say, "There are rumors out there that say the following..." I'm onto your little game, Ausiello!

I will cop to helping fuel talk that you might headline The Office spin-off. I said you'd be great for it and it kind of turned into a thing…
And they did talk to me about it after you wrote that. But then it became a totally different show.

Back to the Gilmore movie thing, in my defense, [series creator] Amy [Sherman-Palladino] mentioned to me that she was open to pursuing it.
It's hard. I don't know what we could give the fans that would satisfy them. It's going to be like, "Grandmother Lorelai pulls into town… " I don't know what the story would be. But as with everything I do I my career, if something comes up that inspires me, then I'll consider it. Plus, these are people who I love so much.

I also think a lot of fans...
...were disappointed with how it ended.

Yes.
But for me, when you have a bad breakup, going back and dating the guy again is not really going to change the breakup. It didn't end in the way I think any of us would have liked -- and that is a disappointment for me as well. And a sadness, really. When the reruns come on now I think about the path it took, and it makes me sad. I wish we would have known it was the end when we shot the final episode, quite simply. But we can't go back and change that. And I'm not sure a movie would help. What helps me is to try and do other things in my life and do work that I like. I don't know that going back to the show is the answer. But there are people who are still really devoted to it, and I understand that, too.

You just signed a deal to star in your own ABC comedy. How did that come about?
Mitch Hurwitz (Arrested Development) and Alex Herschlag (Will & Grace) cooked up this idea that's so wrong it's right. It's the first thing -- after taking many meetings and thinking long and hard about what kind of thing I'd like to do -- that made me laugh. Everything about it made me laugh.

You play a self-help guru who doesn't practice what she preaches. It's already drawing comparisons to Men in Trees.
It's a darker comedy... more like Arrested Development. Men in Trees was a really well written dramedy, but it was soft and sweet -- kind of in the tone of Gilmore Girls. This is more comedic. It's a totally different tone. And I don't live in Alaska.

How is the show darker?
She's a self-help guru who is truly a mess and is obsessed with [her ex-boyfriend] who dumped her. It's really funny because it's so backwards. I went to Barnard College and I did my feminist studies, but I think what's funny about this character is she is deeply flawed. I loved Lorelai, but she wasn't deeply flawed. She was very easy to root for. This is a slightly more twisted central character.

What's the timeline for it?
I'm committed to [Guys & Dolls] through October. But we're trying to figure out if I can shoot [the pilot] while I'm doing the show.

Before I let you go, any other dream projects I can say you're rumored to be attached to?
[Laughs] Oooh, good question. I'll have to think about that.

Last edited by lancer1993; 01-23-2009 at 03:09 PM