View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Auror
Fan Forum Star

Re: Well actually...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquillea
Although I wasn't fond of it's series finale... M*A*S*H was also awesome for most of its run and is maybe the only show that I like early episodes less well... cuz there was more 'locker-room humor' and less character development.
Great one. Although I haven't seen the entire series as a whole, my parents did, and were captivated by the show in every way possible.

Quote:
For me, one reason comedies fare better in the long haul is that... when they get more serious over time it's OK, cuz they started off-balance in favor of funny. For me, the best dramas start off well balanced with drama and humor... and they all get progressively darker... because more is better and darker makes for 'serious art' as opposed to fluff.
Oh man, I couldn't agree more. So, so true. The recipe you described for comedies is a perfect definition of why Friends succeeded in the transition from strict comedy to the integration of drama. And how you described the best dramas is an exact definition of what defined Everwood in season 1. And they all get progressively darker.. and that would define season 2 Everwood for sure.

Quote:
All these shows started out with healthy senses of humor.
Man, I never noticed this before! Excellent point. I haven't seen every show you used in your example, but for the ones that I have such as Everwood, Buffy, Angel, it is absolutely true.

Quote:
'More' doesn't necessarily mean more interesting and, quite frankly, darker doesn't actually equate to deeper/more highly evolved... more worthy of accolades.[
*nods* I can't tell you how many times I have heard others state that they don't like a television show anymore because "it has become way too dark and less interesting."

Quote:
It's like "character growth" must equate to more and more misery... Whassup wid dat?
No idea. Why is this the general rule with writers and creators of shows? It doesn't make any sense to me at all. *shakes head*

Quote:
To me, cultivating a healthy sense of humor is a very important part of character development.
Isn't that the truth? The most adored and endearing characters on tv shows are the ones that have a healthy sense of humor. That is fact.

Quote:
TV writers seem to think darker is deeper and thus more meaningful. So good comedies are more likely to get richer with age as they blend humor and drama... good dramas are more likely to get tiresome with age as they search for bigger drama which equates to more outlandish storylines... or darker storylines... or both... i.e. MELOdrama.

-Aquillea
Wow, you have this down to a science. Perfect depiction.
Auror is offline   Reply With Quote