View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 04:14 PM
The Crow
Elite Fan

Sadly, I do agree that most times television execs seem to think that good drama equals breakups and conflict. Hell, look at the OTH boards. People that were ripping that show all year long loved the last episode, and it had some of the most jarring examples of out of character behavior and 'tv conflict' around.

That being said, I have to fall back to my Friends example. Sure, it was a comedy, but Friends never shied away from having some good drama mixed in as well. Monica and Chandler got together, and were married, for nearly half of the show's run, and not once did we have to deal with the standard 'break them up so there's drama' crap. The drama stemmed from the others around them, and M/C were kind of the touchstone...the calm center of the storm if you will.

Everwood has the same components to set up a similar storyline. There is enough potential drama in Andy's love life to power the show for several seasons. There is the Bright situation, the Nina/Jake situation, the Irv/Edna situation....there is just an endless array of storylines that could involve them, not to mention the impending Madison thing looming on the horizon.

Besides, I've never thought that drama and conflict made a show any more interesting. My favorite episodes of any of the television shows I watch are the ones with a romantic flavor...there can be conflict, but I'd much rather see an episode grounded in the stability of a strong relationship. The only real good thing I get from 'conflict' is the inevitable reconcilliation episode.