View Single Post
Old 12-01-2004, 03:12 PM
~*Nikki*~
Elite Fan

To answer the question, YES drama has to qual breakups and conflict where Television is involved.

I've always thought that Everwood is a real trail blazer in some areas, but I have this theory that The WB wants it to be more soap and dramatic, hence we got the Madison pregnancy and the lying to Amy for the "cliffhanger". Last season, The WB sent out memos saying that they wanted all their shows to have cliffhangers to ensure viewers tune in this year, I'm pretty sure it's a basic thing to do this before winter hiatus and while I was really thinking the Madison bomb would drop, we instead got an Ephram/Amy scene that would normally go in the middle of an episode and be resolved in ten minutes, instead, we have to wait until January to see them make up.

I have no doubt in my mind that this will be resolved and that they will be happy until Madison-Gate is revealed. I don't really see Princeton-Gate being a huge ordeal, the Madison thing will be more than enough drama for this couple to endure and I won't be surprised if in the end, Amy does the standard "I choose myself" thing and strikes out on her own and leaving Ephram with the father drama.

In television, a happy couple equals a boring couple, and I really think we'll get a season's worth of Ephramy, at least until May Sweeps, but so is the way of television and most importantly, The WB. If we didn't have network involvment in storylines, I think we'd have no Madison bomb looming over our heads and Ephram/Amy would be happy and together, but alas not in this lifetime, lol.

I've always respected Berlanti for not dangling Ephram/Amy in front of our faces ala Dawson/Joey for years. I mean during the first season we had angst and drama, but every episode didn't tease us with the hope that they would get together. Season Two was largely about moving on and letting go, much like Dawson's Creek's Season Four was about for Dawson and Joey, but whereas DC kept bringing up Joey's feelings for Dawson, Everwood didn't keep pushing Ephram/Amy's feelings for one another, they were both happy in relationships outside each other and then in the end it was the right time for them, they realized what was out there and decided to be together.

I'm pretty sure the remaining season will be drama filled seeing as Sarah Lancaster's show on CBS had been canned and thus creating a way for her to return to the show and cause the big rift to begin. I can't even imagine how bad things will be by the end of the season, we'll have Madison/Ephram angst, Amy/Ephram angst, and finally Andy/Ephram angst which I hate most of all since they've worked so hard only to let one moment of weakness change them forever. Ephram just isn't going to forgive and forget that his father kept something so huge from him, be it Madison has the child or not.

So again to answer, yes it does equal drama and breakups and also, where television is concerned, there can be no happy Prom or School Dance, it's just a rule that there has to be some drama at one.