View Single Post
Old 11-13-2004, 07:35 PM
UnsilentMajorty
Obsessed Fan

What is really cool that I forgot to mention in my initial review...

Is both Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawk co-wrote the movie with Richard Linklater.

These three are listed as screenwriters which is why I think the dialogue comes off so natural and not forced in any of the (brief) discussions they have in this film.

The other thing that I thought was interesting is that on the DVD there is a featurette on the making of Before Sunset and all three of them give their takes on doing a sequel and some of the things that went into the writing and rehersals prior to shooting.

Ethan had always wanted to do a follow up to Before Sunrise as did Julie Delpy and Richard Linklter had actually envisioned a series of movies that chronicled the couples trials and tribulations as a couple as they mature from young and idealistic to more mature and cynical over the years, but always the two of them staying together.

Julie Delpy purposefully made (wrote) Celine the exact opposite of her personality in real life whereas Ethan made Jesse almost autobiographical... And I think the contrast works perfectly given the context of the chararacters and the things the actors have been through like Ethan really going through a divorce from wife Uma Thurman and having kids of his own.

This kind of authenticity shows through the characters and I think it is a true testament to the art of storytelling in that this film is only 80 minutes long and that is exactly how much time Jessie says he has to see Celine before he has to get on a plane back to the U.S. There is a real sense of time and urgency and why I think this movie is just the right length given the subject matter.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote