View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 10:07 AM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

You know what, Ashley, I totally remember you mentioning this fic idea on AIM, man, years back. Roughly 3 years ago since I remember it was whenever Angela were just getting started or soon after that. I remember it clearly that you had this idea and explained it to me while I was cheering you on to get going with it. You really should write it up, that'd be awesome! We also really should talk on AIM again soon, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
although they do throw in him making the choice at the actual audition, but it's really driven by an uncontrollable event, not something naturally built up. I 100& and more agree with you.
That's a supeb point. Ephram did ultimately make a choice, that's true. He really had all the cards in his hand and it wasn't Andy or even Madison who dictated this choice even if they didn't help matters when the drama took place before the audition. Ultimately Ephram could have collected himself and gotten through the audition should he have chosen to do so, but he didn't. I think in life the choices we make we have to own and Ephram was fully responsible for his decision, no one else. In my mind if going to Juilliard was the right, meant to be choice for him, he would have found a way to make it happen. Especially after Amy lovingly got him another chance and he still said no. Forgot about that. He had not one but two chances which further promotes the fact that it was never his calling, never meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tos
You can't leave my hanging, Michelle! Hehe. Very interested to hear this.
Heh.

Well, I think Ephram suddenly forgiving Madison while it showed huge maturity on Ephram's part since season 4 for Ephram, one of the main themes, was all about Ephram going from boy to man was also a very convenient way to almost place the blame back on Ephram combined with opening the door for her possible return in the future.

So I think it was a mix of showing Ephram's maturity and leaving that door open which made me cringe a bit, the part about her possibly returning. The placing some blame on Ephram wasn't totally deserved although I could be off on this take for sure. How Ephram treated Andy before the audition was completely hard on the eyes and entirely unnecessary and I blame Ephram for that, I also think that Ephram had no reason to necessarily forgive Madison for the situation, though. I didn't see the point past making her somewhat of a victim especially if she were to return. It was all just weird, that phone call. I don't know why but it bothered me on some level. I didn't think it was necessary or maybe a better way to state it is I didn't understand the POINT to it. I guess in thinking about it more a message being sent in that episode was also to prove that Ephram loved Amy even throughout his stupid band lie and to forgive Madison was almost poetically saying that she was out of his life and there were no hard feelings since he was moving on.

So I guess I just contradicted myself big time with this explanation. But I guess that's our Everwood for you, there's many answers because no subject was ever a simple, easy one. Which is why this show was so damn amazing and real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tos
I never thought about this, mostly because I don't like thinking about this moment, heh.
That's a terrific way of stating it, I agree.

Maybe the reason why Madison was so meek and almost dedicated to Andy's strong suggestion of keeping it from Ephram was to show how even someone who looks rough around the edges like she clearly seemed at times in season 2, does eventually have their breaking point and this was Madison's moment to do just that. The situation was such a shocking, emotional one. As a result she really wasn't herself and acted way out of personality because she didn't know how to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tos
How I've always looked at it too. Everwood was all about naturally, character-driven drama when its storylines were at its best (and the bad ones stand out so much because they are so awkwardly forced in), and this one was not. At all. I don't mind the outcome, but how it started...again, almost quit watching because of that. I really did. Holy hell am I glad I didn't.
Wow, really? Amazing. I'm so glad you didn't! Tell me more about your thoughts during this moment in time.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote