View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 06:13 AM
sunnykerr
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I have a sneaky feeling this has a lot more to do with trying to curtail any and all support for Taiwan than it is about anything else.

Because, while I'm not even going to attempt to pretend that I understand the complex nationalistic feelings of the Welsh, Scot and English people beyond their British amalgammation, it's clear that a parallel can be drawn with the sovereignist movement in Taiwan. Only, the Welsh, Scots and English, being part of a democracy -- as opposed to whatever form of government migh best describe China -- have actual rights with regards to expressing their nationalistic fervour without fear of emprisonment. The Taiwanese do not.

Lest we forget, China has enormous censorship with regards to the information that comes into the country. Open displays of nationalistic fervour, whether from Great Britain, Canada, Belgium, Switzerland or wherever else countries are made up of different groups with independent identities, would undoubtedly be a great "shock" (for a lack of a better word) to the locals. I suspect the Chinese government wouldn't want them to get any bright ideas as to what can be done.

Last edited by sunnykerr; 08-07-2008 at 06:58 AM