View Single Post
Old 07-06-2008, 08:29 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

Quote:
What I rather have seen instead of the baby storyline would have been showing the progress Ephram made in that throughout all of season 1 here was this kid with purple hair who would have given anything to get back to NYC. He didn't want to be in Everwood. Period. What would have been neat could have been seeing Ephram go through the Juilliard audition, getting accepted THEN Ephram making his own decision that:

A) Ultimately Everwood was his new home and he preferred going to a piano school closer to home
B) Classical piano wasn't really his gig, jazz was, so while the Juilliard training would have been priceless, ulitmately he wanted a more well rounded college education
I think A was kind of already done in season one, finding Everwood as his true home, but maybe going back to New York, and then having a few relapses of wanting to stay and doubting Everwood, for sure.

B is good too, although I know next to nothing about Julliard, heh.

Quote:
I would have loved seeing this take place, Ephram making his own choice. Not having uncontrollable circumstances dictate his decisions.
Either way, this is what I really want to reply to because yes yes yes! I had edited out in my previous post that I felt that him missing the audition over this was a bit too easy. It would have been a MUCH more satisfying and challenging route to take, then an unforseen circumstance that was thrown in there. I get why they did it that way and it did work out in the end, but it does feel a bit "cheap" now that I look back on it. Not horribly so, doesn't detract a huge amount from the show, but there were other routes to take that had him making a choice, although they do throw in him making the choice at the actual audition, but it's really driven by an uncontrollable event, not something naturally built up. I 100& and more agree with you.

Quote:
which I have my own thoughts on why I didn't necessarily love this
You can't leave my hanging, Michelle! Hehe. Very interested to hear this.

Quote:
Part of me still finds it odd that Madison listened to Andy in the first place. Here was a girl who had zero problem kicking both Andy and Ephram's asses in, ranting away at them in season 2 then she gets pregnant with Ephram's child and suddenly she's all meek and falls off the face of the earth listening to Andy as if his word was all that mattered? I found that a bit unrealistic.
I never thought about this, mostly because I don't like thinking about this moment, heh. But yeah, good point. I think they have a bit of a save with the circumstances around the pregnancy, him and Madison not being together and her sense of isolation and desperation, but yeah, definitely definitely see where you're coming from there, it is out of nowhere in a sense.

Quote:
Everwood was not about cheap drama and that's always how I viewed this storyline... as cheap drama. This show was not called One Tree Hill, it was called Everwood.
How I've always looked at it too. Everwood was all about naturally, character-driven drama when its storylines were at its best (and the bad ones stand out so much because they are so awkwardly forced in), and this one was not. At all. I don't mind the outcome, but how it started...again, almost quit watching because of that. I really did. Holy hell am I glad I didn't.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote