View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 09:25 AM
sum1
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Subject
I think more likely that you didn't see it because you didn't want to see it. It was there.
I very much doubt that. I was actually LOOKING for positive in Tess, trying to find SOMETHING worthwhile or likable in her. Love for Max? It wasn't there.
Quote:
We both both ship much hated couples. It's only on the shows that we really differ. We are like two sides of the same coin my friend.
Except your ship is evil.
Quote:
Not for everyone no. However, most hatred I believe was founded on that alone.
"Alone"? Wow, I think that's a DEFINITE example of a simplification.
Quote:
Since the moment Tess first showed up on screen she posed a threat to Max/Liz.
Not so clearly as a little while later. And from the beginning she provided plenty reason to dislike her other than her threat to Max/Liz.
Quote:
Actually, it would make it so. Those other reasons would all be secondary to their dislike of Tess. Besides, I take what people say as the truth. Especially if it is about their feelings towards something. Because who would know better how they feel then themselves?
Certainly not necessarily themselves. People often aren't aware of their real feelings and motivations and can also fool or confuse themselves, etc. While sometimes other people can see it better from the outside. Well established principle of human nature. And one of the reasons I'm massively into painstaking and merciless self-examination, something which most people quite simply arent.

So no, I don't think it necessarily makes it so just because they say so. Particularly considering how fashionable it is for fans to make a big show of hating characters who threaten their favorite ships. Less fashionable, less stereotypical, reasons for hating a character can fall between the cracks.
Quote:
Also, I realize that not all M/L are Tess haters. Just like how not all Rebels or Dreamers really like Max.
I think it makes zero sense to ship a character one doesn't like.