View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Aurora Cormier
Fan Forum Hero

And Lauren's posts are getting longer here as well, I like it

Quote:
I think that this is mostly true. Even if, in her heart, a woman feels perfectly happy being a single,childless, career gal, she almsot always has those moments when she questions her happiness because of the way our society is composed. Marriage and motherhood are held up as examples of life's greatest joys to women, and to a much smaller degree, men from childhood onwards. Part of this is because, in truth, the majority does find happiness in these things. It's ingrained in us naturally as a species so that we will mate and procreate and keep the human race alive. Now, this is not to say that a person who does not feel the desire for marriage and/or children is unnatural. I'm speaking in general terms for every individual is different. Fact is, with these things pushed on us from such a young age, it is common for one to feel somehow...less if umarried or childless at a certain age. In Scully's case, the matter was made worse because her mother so obviously wanted all her children to have children. Added into her own disappointment was the totally irrational and yet oh-so human fear that she might disappoint her mother in some way and be less loved for not having children. The whole situation was difficult for Scully. Worst of all though,(Agreeing with you,again Ju! ) was that she was unable rather than unwilling to have children. Even if a woman never intends to have children, it's hard not to resent being denied the option by an external force. And for Scully, a woman who wanted children, it is possibly the worst pain of all. I can't imagine what that feels like! I hope I never have first-hand experience.
Exactly, you write so well dear, I love reading your thoughts And oh, the agreeing