View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Danke
Master Fan

Thanks Riska for Kelly´s interview Finally some news around.

we also got new interview with Lauren today. this is the part about GG.

Quote:
I have to ask about the “Gilmore Girls” movie.
A movie?

Or a reunion? A reunion-movie? Is there going to be any reunion of any sort?
Well no one has spoken about it. I think the “Sex and the City” movie has ruined... a TV show can’t just end now. It’s implied that there’s got to be more. It never was an actual consideration, just a very sweet idea that came (it seems to me) from people who were sad the show ended and maybe sad the way it ended.

What happened with the ending?
When it ended, it was a combination of things. The network couldn’t decide what to do and Alexis and I couldn’t decide. We weren’t thrilled with the way the last year had gone and we weren’t sure what the future would be. Her character had graduated from college and it was like, “What do we do after that?” We had many conversations that had to do with quality of life, because it was (for a million reasons) a really hard show to produce. We weren’t sure -- from every single standpoint -- what was the best thing was for us and the show. So, it ended a little abruptly. When we did what became the final episode, we weren’t even sure if that was the end.

In the pilot episode we shot through the window of Luke’s Diner -- this was the idea of our director -- and we did that same kind of shot for the ending thinking people would appreciate that kind of symmetry. But, that was the only thing we did to say “this is the end.” And it wasn’t until months after that when I got a call at a restaurant and my agent was like “it’s over.”

So is there anything you would have done differently if you had known it was the absolute end?
I had an idea it was going to be over because we had been negotiating. For both of us it was so many things. Could we get a significant raise, which neither of us had during those seven years? But, it was also about how we could guarantee the quality of the show. It was a lot of things together… financial, creative control and producers… Also, for most of that year, I was like “It’s done.” The show itself was telling us the story was over. It was actually just yesterday that Alexis sent me a text saying that it’s been a year since the show ended, but I really think we did the right thing.

After I was told, I learned that not only crew and producers, but other actors didn’t get called and people were upset with me in some cases. I would have handled that differently, even in terms of the wrap party being a thank you and goodbye instead of a “have a great summer.” You know, Ed Herrmann, who played my dad, walked into his video store in Connecticut and the girl at the counter said. “I’m sorry your show’s over.” and he was like “It is?”

I’ve seen enough “Behind the Music” -- or whatever the version about TV is called -- and I remember Joyce DeWitt talking about the end of “Three’s Company” and that nobody told her that is was over.

It’s like when you’re 13 and your friends stop liking you. You’re always the last to know.
And you only know when they stop inviting you to stuff.

You said that you feel like Philly is a real “Gilmore Girls” town. So does this bring up any nostalgia for you or a desire to work with Amy Sherman-Palladino again?
I do want to work on television again and I neither thank nor blame Philly for that. It’s the steadiest job and the best writing for women. I would look forward to doing something where I can have a hand in the producing of the show or the direction of the show. One of the things that I learned while I was on the “Gilmore Girls” is that I want the process to be collaborative.

Amy wrote me the best character I’ve ever had on television for sure, but I think if we worked together it would sound the same. She talked to me about doing “The Return of Jezebel James” and when I read it I thought it really was good and it wasn’t the same character; it wasn’t Lorelai. But, I thought if I do it, it will sound that way.

Going back to what you said about TV being the best writing for women, do you think it’s more of a challenge for women to work in film?
I still feel that I’m kind of working my way up and building a resume and there are plenty of people in film who have never seen a “Gilmore Girls” episode. I’m in a different place and in film it’s a different world. Having said that, I did three movies this year that I loved. Aside from the fact that my sister’s tired of taking care of my dog, I would do this for a while longer. You get to have a whole experience, and then you put it behind you and move on.

That’s something that I think most actors like; they are weird gluttons for the unknown and I think they get bored when they know where they’re going to be the next day. One of the things that happens when you’re on a show is you know what it is. That’s why “Gilmore Girls” is amazing to me because when I was well into the sixth and seventh year I would still get scripts that I thought were great and made me happy.
The whole interview is here Life after Gilmore Girls Credit to Nadine