View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 04:10 AM
Aquillea
Part-Time Fan

Liked it

Didn't love it. Jupiter and Mars are no longer aligned, I guess.

There's a fine line between continuity/believability and repetitiveness. I spent some of my time this episode distracted, worrying how much of the same ole thing we'd be seeing in upcoming episodes.

The vibrator storyline was, indeed, a partial rehash of the Penthouse storyline. Delia innocently stumbles upon an embarrassing item in Nina's home pertaining to human sexuality. Andy overreacts and reams Nina up and down... later he apologizes. I was half expecting her to have the coffee cup waiting for him again. I find it unrealistic that the neighbor girl makes such a 'sensitive' discovery, not once but twice. My hunch is that parents tend to either set limits on going in their bedroom or take precautions (or both - ex. my parents). After the Penthouse fiasco, with Nina having a young, curious child herself... I think she'd either make her bedroom off limits for playtime or she'd be more careful where she kept personal items.

The unlikely set-up notwithstanding, I suppose it's realistic that the story would play out so similarly to the Penthouse story. Although people do learn lessons... mature... grow... it's not a fast or perfect process. Perhaps if this was the only repetitive storyline... but...

Then there's Harold. In 3-4 week's time he's taken it upon himself to redecorate the office for Andy; he updated the record keeping system for Edna; and he set up a job interview for Bright... not consulting with any of them. I mean... 3-4 weeks! Yes... I know it's Harold's way. I know sometimes (not always, but sometimes) things happen in spurts. It's possible that all these opportunities for conflict would all happen back to back... but life doesn't usually work out that way. And, as Jerry pointed out, We've seen this pattern of interaction between Harold and Bright before. Overbearing Dad means well but seems to be disappointed in his Son. Son throws it back in Dad's face. Dad feels guilty. Didn't learn anything the last time huh?

At first I thought there would be a new twist. I was proud of Bright, thinking he was being mature in not blowing up at the folks at the dinner table. But all he was doing was postponing the conflict. So Andy hasn't learned anything from the Penthouse storyline and Harold hasn't learned anything from the football scholarship storyline.

Uh, OK. But wait, we're not done. Bright screwed up in school... then he made a goal and worked hard in school... then he gave up on college... then Ephram talked him into trying again... then he got disappointed and fooled around during the summer... then Rose scolds him and he pledges to work on it with her help... but now he and Dad are having friction because Bright doesn't want to face the fact that he still doesn't know what future to work for. Oh, come on. Is this gonna turn into Bright's version of Amy's depression story arc? This messing up with the kids "together" deal is certainly similar to what went on when Amy ran away to Edna's.

As a result of all this, Ephram became one of the highlights of this episode for me. Amy was doing more of what I discussed for the last episode... following in her father's footsteps. Obsessing over someone she cares about and trying to do what she thinks is best for her... whether Hannah wants it or not. At least Amy's directing this type of behavior toward a female friend is a bit novel... plus, we were treated to Ephram's take on it. He was the only one who really displayed any wisdom tonight. Although the show has chosen to play up the parallels between Harold/Amy and Andy/Ephram... there are also times I think I see Julia in Ephram and this was one of them. I liked how he didn't get worried, or angry regarding Hannah or Amy. Except for his "addendum" he was actually a bit amused. Hannah is Hannah and that's fine... Amy is Amy and that's fine too... so long as she'll let him say I love you first once in a while.

I did like how the sad situation of the couple and the uncomfortable situation with Delia had Andy thinking about Julia. Additionally, I was glad we had more Nina this episode and I liked how, even though I think she and Andy could be a couple one day, she's full of empathy and it's actually Nina (I think) who introduces Julia into the conversation. I also liked the discussion about how being a single parent isn't just hard from a practical sense and the parallel drawn between Nina/Andy and Rose/Harold. BUT, do they really expect me to believe that Andy and Julia did any co-parenting... even in the midst of the "big stuff". I'm sorry but nothing I've seen from this show *ever* indicated that was likely. It rang utterly false for me which, sadly, detracted a little from what was otherwise insightful and poignant.

And as an aside... last month I tossed up the suggestion that Bright should be a firefighter/paramedic. This week brings me suggestion #2. I think Bright and Rose should start seeking all kinds of career counselling advice and literature and etc... and eventually, Bright comes to realize that he should be a career counselor. Who would better understand the effort, the uncertainties, and (now) the resources available pertaining to finding one's career path?!

~Aquillea

PS- Anyone have any idea what the episode title refers to?

Last edited by Aquillea; 10-05-2004 at 04:41 AM
Aquillea is offline   Reply With Quote