View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 11:11 PM
'Tos
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMagist (View Post)
I....don't know that I agree with this. I had always interpreted his speech in Episode 20, as being that, since Julia's death was so close to him at the moment, the idea of him taking a life was too great to deal with, so by the time season 4 rolled around, he'd been able to deal enough, to the point where he was getting back into things.
I see where both of you are coming from on this one. I also interpreted the same way as you did, shadow, but I also think him agreeing to teach the procedure in the fourth season diminishes, just a little bit, the effect of him not being able to perform the procedure in season one.

I really liked how the episode returned to the abortion issue, especially Amy finding out about Harold's secret (didn't like her reaction, but it was a great scene) which I found akin to Harold finding out about Andy's secret about Julia in season four, returning to two big eps from season one.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent, but while I like how they returned to the issue in this ep, I didn't like how casually, off the screen, no reaction, no emotion, from Andy on it at all. You think he'd at least struggle, at least talk to Harold even just because of the events in episode 20. I don't know, it was too brushed aside for Andy's part. that Andy would just agree to it so casually, without a scene of...reflection or something. I understand that Andy CAN do it now, but without any emotional struggle? I don't know. Too clean and easy for me. I mean, Delia reads him a speech about how Julia's death affected them in the same exact episode, and you'd think that would be on his mind. It was a rush job on his role on this one; where he agrees off-screen, meets off-screen with the prof, with the board, and it's just left there. It wasn't handled very well, although I'm not sure if it's a total inconsistency because time has past and Julia isn't quite as big of an affect on his decisions anymore, but it is very odd that he wouldn't get a scene to think about it after Colin and after Julia still being a big part of him and Delia.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote